Ernst Zündel: His Struggle, His Life
1939-1958 - Childhood and Youth
Ernst Zündel was born on April 24, 1939 in Calmbach in the Black Forest, Germany, the fourth of six children of lumberjack Fritz Zündel and his wife, Gertrud Zündel, nee Meyer, who came from the Augsburg region. From 1938 to 1947, his father, a confirmed Social-Democrat, was in the military as a medic - first on the front and then in American captivity. His mother was a devout Christian.
World War II and its dreadful aftermath for Germany made a lasting impression on the little boy, especially the Allied bombing attacks and the aggravating and dangerous strafing attacks of the fighter bombers, called Jabos, which attacked everything in Germany that moved in the fields, forests and meadows and on the roads and rails. Added to this was the hunger, the cold and the bitter privation following Germany's collapse.
Zündel's first school days found him in the basement of his home town's Protestant church, because the French occupation authorities had billeted soldiers in the local school. Despite malnutrition and the resultant illnesses such as pneumonia, hunger edema etc., the youngster turned out to be a good student - a talented and intelligent but painfully shy boy. Art, history, and essay-writing were his favorite subjects in school.
Starving and frequently ill, he was nonetheless soon drawing beetles, bees and flowers for his classmates or helping them with homework assignments and writing essays for children of "wealthy" parents. In this way, he earned his first "extra rations" - a jam sandwich every now and then.
Before long, the teachers alerted Mother Zündel to her son's artistic talent, and as a result she found an apprenticeship position for him in Pforzheim, known as the "Golden City" before the war - a city which had been almost entirely destroyed by massive bombing raids just shortly before the war's end and where up to 20,000 people had been cremated alive in a horrendous fire storm.
Zündel completed his apprenticeship years in a Graphic Arts Institute in bombed-out Pforzheim, 20 km away. He also attended classes for three years in the Graphic Arts Department of the Trade School. He passed his journeyman's exam with good grades and tried to advance in his profession by applying for a job in Osnabrück, in far-distant northern Germany. One of his reasons for this first "emigration" was to learn proper German - until then he had spoken only Swabian, a dialect which is rather different from High German - and also to rid himself, unobserved by his family and friends, of his troubling shyness. In both he succeeded only to a degree.
· 1957 was the time of Allied-imposed German re-armament, a process pushed by Konrad Adenauer. Zündel had been raised as a Christian and pacifist and for this reason soon found himself facing a dilemma regarding the impending term of military service. He decided to emigrate a second time, this time for real to overseas, in order to avoid conscription into the Bundeswehr, the German Armed Forces. At that time Canada was the only country in the Western world which did not require compulsory military service of young men. Canada became his country of choice.
· September 3, 1958: 19-year-old Zündel arrived in French-speaking Montreal, Quebec, Canada. He did not know anyone there. He spoke only a few words of English, which he had learned through a correspondence course. He did not speak any French. Soon afterwards he boarded an immigrants' train to Toronto, where English was spoken.
In the English night-school for immigrants in Toronto, which Zündel attended immediately after his arrival in Canada in order to improve his language skills, he met an intelligent and pretty French-Canadian woman who became his wife one year later. This very young marriage produced two sons.
Soon after, the Zündel family relocated back to the French-speaking part of Canada and settled in Montreal, Quebec, where Zündel met Adrien Arcand, the French-Canadian author, newspaper publisher, political philosopher and party leader of a pre-war, pro-German, National-Socialist Christian Party.
(Prior to WWII, Mr. Arcand had been a well-known man in Canada. During the war, he had been locked up for six years in a Canadian concentration camp for his political views - without a charge, without a trial, without a sentence, only on the suspicion that he might pose a "risk to Canada" during the war. In this camp Arcand contracted a kidney ailment from which he never fully recovered. Neither he nor other party members who had been imprisoned along with him, among them Camillien Houd, the French-Canadian Mayor of Montreal, Quebec, Canada's largest metropolis, ever received so much as a cent in "restitution"!)
Like all young people of his post-war generation, Zündel had been taught to hate Hitler and all he stood for and had been brainwashed by Allied occupation authorities-produced books in post-war German schools. Canadian business associates soon suggested to Zündel that he should visit Arcand, due to the latter's political background and historical knowledge, especially of German-Jewish matters and World War II history. Even though at that time Zündel, like all the young people his age who had gone through the post-war German school system under Allied occupation control, had never doubted the officially taught, Allied-imposed version of Third Reich history, the books and documents he found in Arcand's library soon made him first curious, then suspicious of what he had been told regarding World War II. This new information eventually changed his life.
Arcand took the young German under his wings because he understood and knew how to counter the poison of "re-education" - the false picture of history instilled in Zündel's young mind by the Allied "re-educators". He did this with historical truth from original sources, documents and books in order to enhance Zündel's understanding of historical analysis. Under Arcand's influence and guidance, his knowledge and his personal library encompassing more than four thousand volumes, to which he granted the young German free access, Zündel's thinking soon began to detoxify and to recuperate. It was thus a French-Canadian who turned the young immigrant, thirsting for historical truth and political knowledge, into a thinking German - in distant Canada!
Zündel says today: "Arcand set me free!"
And so it happened that, as news reports reached him in Canada about the first great Auschwitz show trial in Germany in the early 1960s, Zündel already felt the first doubts and Revisionist stirrings. Despite a demanding day-job as graphic artist and photo retoucher he continued to attend evening classes at Sir George Williams University in Montreal, where he studied political science, history and architecture. He wrote his own column, titled "Politics: Past, Present and Future", for the student newspaper, and contributed items to the university television broadcasts, as well as articles for the ethnic press.
About that time, the Cuban Crisis awakened the Canadians' interest in the threat of Communism, and Zündel began to give anti-Communist lectures at private clubs such as Kiwanis, Rotary etc., in churches, schools, lodges, at businessmen's lunches etc. He also discovered his talent for political radio commentaries and live debates. Almost every evening or night, Montreal residents could hear Zündel on well-known radio talk shows, where he soon became the local Communists' and Zionists' verbal nemesis. Often, stations invited him as guest panelist or participant for hours-long broadcasts.
Zündel painted a great deal in his spare time and soon became widely known for his landscape paintings and watercolors, of which he sold more than 700 in Canada and around the world. His paintings and graphic art work also earned him extra cash, awards and public recognition. In his free time, by writing about current events to newspaper offices and radio and television stations, he persistently defended his homeland, Germany, against anti-German hate propaganda, which was ever more on the rise.
Soon a group of like-minded people found themselves drawn to him. Together with his friends, he organized demonstrations and protests outside movie theaters and newspaper offices, which presented slanderous anti-German films, articles and sentiments and which engaged in negative stereotyping and hate propaganda against his homeland. This resulted in frequent television and radio interviews on the topic of the German concentration camps, the National Socialist government's policy toward Jews, Gypsies etc. Thus, Zündel saw himself forced to deal psychologically, intellectually and historically with National Socialism and with the phenomenon later to be referred to as "the Holocaust".
(At that time, the word "Holocaust" had not yet entered the Canadian vocabulary as a synonym for the alleged extermination of the Jews. The term did not become generally accepted until 1977 through the television miniseries by that name, based on a novel by Gerald Greene.)
In 1967, Lester Pearson, head of the Liberal Party and Canadian Prime Minister, resigned for health reasons. Zündel ran for the position of Head of the Liberal Party who would automatically become Prime Minster of Canada, if elected as Party leader. Even though he was an immigrant and the youngest candidate ever to run for that office in the history of Canada, he made it to the finals and addressed a live audience of 25,000 people in the Sports Stadium of Ottawa. There, he pleaded for an end to anti-German propaganda in the Canadian media and for the reunification of his homeland. The speech was broadcast by all the radio and television stations in Canada.
To his amazement, his then pending application for Canadian citizenship was turned down by the government of the day - without explanation! To this day, he has not been given a reason for their refusal.
· 1968 - 1969: Having become financially independent thanks to his talent as graphic artist and painter, Zündel embarked on an almost one-year-long tour of Africa, the Middle East, Israel, India, and Asia all the way to Japan, to expand his political horizon and understanding of political conflicts. He read, analyzed and digested everything about history he could get his hands on, especially from Jewish sources, and worked hard on acquiring an independent education. Intensive studies of, and interviews with, political thinkers from every persuasion and nationality, as well as with politicians, writers, military leaders and eyewitnesses of World War II to university professors and book authors from many parts of the world, followed next.
· In the early 1970s, Zündel again roamed the world with notepad, tape recorder and film camera. He met Thies Christophersen who wrote "Die Auschwitz-Lüge" (The Auschwitz Lie) which Zündel translated into English and then published. This was a key event for the young German national.
Christophersen was a German agronomist who had been stationed in Auschwitz during the war and, together with Auschwitz inmates, had worked in the satellite camp at Raisko to produce natural rubber, which the Germans desperately needed, from dandelions and other plants. He even spent his honeymoon in the Auschwitz camp area. After the war, he wrote a frank and honest account of his observations and experiences there. In this booklet, he stated that he saw no gas chambers in Auschwitz, even though he had free access to all areas of the camp for over a year.
Soon Zündel also published the writings of American Professor Dr. Austin App, one of the best-known German-American community leaders of the post-War period, and translated and published his study "The Six-Million Swindle".
Because Zündel rebelled and, unlike anybody else in Canada, did something against anti-German hate propaganda, his name soon became a household word. Time and again, his anti-Holocaust demonstrations were mentioned in the press and shown on television. Rapidly he became very well known overseas as well.
· Winter 1977 - Spring 1978: Together with friends, Zündel organized letter-writing campaigns to government agencies on all levels in Canada, the United States and Germany, and protested against the growing and ever-escalating anti-German propaganda in the press and the broadcasting media. In these early years, well-known Canadian politicians and journalists commented in a positive vein on this topic and his activities.
· Summer - Fall 1978: By then, Zündel and friends protested almost on a daily basis against anti-German hate films on TV, especially against the historically false, emotion-laden miniseries "Holocaust", which was broadcast throughout North America every night for a week, along with much maudlin promotional hype in the press. Many interviews on the radio, on TV and in the press followed. The Holocaust Lobby reacted fiercely to Zündel and his friends, who were soon viciously verbally attacked and slandered as "Nazis" by commentators, columnists and politicians looking for votes.
· Spring - Summer 1979: Zündel and his rapidly-growing worldwide circle of like-minded friends continued to demonstrate publicly against anti-German hate films on the topic of the "Holocaust" which were being broadcast ever more frequently throughout Canada, the United States, Europe and even in Argentina, Chile and Australia. Zündel organized counter-demonstrations in many places and countries. The Johannesburg/South Africa office of "Der Spiegel" - embarrassed by being called "Nestbeschmutzer" - befoulers of their own nest - called Zündel in Toronto and asked that the demonstrations outside their downtown offices be stopped. In return, "Der Spiegel" offered to report about Zündel's worldwide "anti-Holocaust campaign".
Zündel's friends agreed to stop. A team of Spiegel reporters did, in fact, come to Toronto from New York, took pictures and made tape recordings of Zündel's group at work. However, the interview with Zündel was never printed in "Der Spiegel." This was a painful but valuable lesson for Zündel.
· Fall - Winter 1979: Zündel attended a conference at Northrop University in California, where the "Institute for Historical Review" was founded. There, he conferred with Revisionists from around world - all of whom, to his amazement, had also researched and questioned the so-called "Holocaust" for years. It was there that he found stimulating intellectual reinforcement, as well as companions and invaluable contacts.
Zündel was most impressed by Dr. Arthur Butz, Professor at Northwestern University and author of the trailblazing study and soon-to-be standard Revisionist text, "The Hoax of the Twentieth Century", and Professor Dr. Robert Faurisson of the Lyon II University in France. He was asked to deliver Dr. Faurisson's lecture for him, because the latter was too exhausted from the long plane trip and not able to give his lecture himself. Zündel was impressed by Dr. Faurisson's downright fanatical devotion to detail and historical truth and by his research and document discoveries in the archives in Auschwitz and other former German concentration camps in the East. Especially Dr. Faurisson's scientific, photo-documented comparisons of American gas chambers and alleged German "gas chambers of the Third Reich" amazed and astounded Zündel. This had a profound impact on him. He promised Dr. Faurisson to pursue these clues independently in North America.
· Spring - Summer 1980: Zündel met Ditlieb Felderer, the Swedish Revisionist, who, beginning in the 1970s, had undertaken numerous arduous trips and had conducted more than 30 examinations and investigations of Auschwitz and the other former German concentration camps in the East, collected many artifacts, recorded valuable interviews and taken over 30,000 color slides of the sites. Zündel also went on America-wide lecture tours with Thies Christophersen, Udo Walendy and other Revisionists.
Zündel's publishing firm, Samisdat Publishers, also at first purchased and then produced the first Canadian edition of a British publication, "Did Six Million Really Die?", authored by Richard Harwood, an Englishman. This publication - a most fateful one for Zündel - had already in the middle 1970s begun its triumphal march as an international revisionist bestseller through 18 nations and 12 translations. In the fall and winter of 1980, Zündel distributed many tens of thousands of copies of "Did Six Million Really Die?" worldwide, in several languages, free of charge, financed by donations, to university professors, teachers, clergymen, politicians and media outlets in North America and Europe.
The Holocaust Lobby sounded the alarm about this "Zündel Truth in History" campaign! There were many interviews from all parts of the world, and this politically uncomfortable publication was even sent to the British Columbia Minister of Justice by someone in the hope that he would move to prosecute Zündel. He did not!
· Spring - Summer 1981: Next, Zündel distributed tens of thousands of audio cassettes with Revisionist content worldwide - again free of charge, again financed by donations. An almost simultaneous mass mailing of tens of thousands of his autobiographical booklet "An mein Volk" ("For My People") to friends and European recipients of his newsletters resulted in a media uproar in Germany and Canada - and raids in Germany. Late March 1981 saw a flood of almost 2,000 police raids on the homes of Zündel supporters, from Flensburg all the way to Garmisch-Partenkirchen to confiscate this revisionist material. Everywhere, the search teams demanded and confiscated Zündel's tapes and the so-called "hate-mongering green booklet" titled "An mein Volk"! It is said that truckloads of seized material were sent to Stuttgart, where legal proceedings had been instituted against Zündel for ". . . agitation of the people".
These German raids caused a big stir in the Canadian media as well. The name "Zündel" became synonymous with "Anti-Holocaust" activities. After being vilified in Bonn, particularly in a press conference by the German Minister of Justice or the Interior, a man named Schmudde, the Bonn authorities made Zündel "fair game" in Canada. The behaviour exhibited towards Zündel by the Canadian press, up to then at least more or less neutral if not supportive, and especially by some politicians and police, now took a marked turn for the worse.
· May 31, 1981: Two thousand Jewish demonstrators gathered in front of the Zündel-House in Toronto's downtown streets, waving placards and chanting in unison to demand charges against Zündel and his deportation from Canada. The police could hardly restrain the milling, agitated crowd. Zündel's team guarded the building from the inside. Equipped with tape recorders and movie cameras and disguised as reporters, other friends and supporters mingled with the demonstrators and photographed and documented the pandemonium and their threats of assassination and arson against Zündel. This resulted in the first educational video "Genocide by Propaganda" made of the footage gathered that day. This color video dealing with anti-German hate propaganda, the Holocaust etc., was also distributed to the North American media, mostly free of charge, again financed by donations. Again, many press, TV and radio interviews followed.
· Fall 1981: Zündel traveled to Europe to expand his worldwide circle of German Human Rights advocates against anti-German hate propaganda. In Stockholm he made another color documentary film, later transferred to video, with Swedish Revisionist Ditlieb Felderer, who showed him some of the 30,000 photos he had taken in the course of 30 investigative trips to the former German concentration camps in the Communist sphere of influence (Auschwitz, Birkenau, Majdanek, Treblinka, Struthof, Chelmno etc.).
· November 1981: In an unprecedented move, the Canadian state denied Zündel his postal privileges! Zündel was banned from mailing anything within Canada, or from Canada to abroad. No letters, no bills, no tax papers - nothing at all could now be mailed to or by Zündel anywhere or anytime! Failure to comply with the postal ban, he was informed, would mean four years' imprisonment.
This decree was not based on any kind of verdict in a trial; it was imposed dictatorially and unilaterally by the Postal Minister alone and was immediately put into force by "Postal Police" - with no prior warning. Fortunately, Canadian law granted Zündel the right to appeal to a Postal Tribunal and to have the matter investigated. Zündel appealed the ban and asked for the establishment of a tribunal.
The government had no choice. The minister hand-picked the three tribunal members, and it, in turn, impaneled such a tribunal.
Until then, his political detractors had remained largely invisible in the background. Now a wealthy Jewess, Sabina Citron from the "Canadian Holocaust Remembrance Association" and none other than the notorious "Nazi hunter" Simon Wiesenthal turned out to be the true instigators of the persecution directed against Zündel, because they did not like the historical truths he unearthed and published. Through this Postal Tribunal, the Canadian state chose to grant this Jewess and her attorneys the right to appear in an equal or parallel capacity alongside the Crown - as co-prosecutor. In other words, Zündel's Jewish opponents furnished all - the accusation, the charge and the allegedly incriminating documents as well as the only expert witness in this grotesque "trial" called a Postal Hearing that dragged on over several months. In effect, they were prosecutors in their own case. All the while, Zündel received no mail and could not send any.
· Winter 1981 - Spring 1982: Zündel was now fighting for his professional survival. Fortunately, he achieved several legal modifications. For one, his graphic arts studio was exempted from the postal ban and so Zündel managed to survive economically - albeit only barely. The once-thriving Samisdat Publishing company, however, began to lose its financial footing due to this postal ban. Only over-the-counter sales were possible. Tapes and book sales fell off rapidly. Frightened supporters sent fewer donations. His enemies gloated and already saw victory in sight.
All the while, the name "Zündel" and his message were spreading - despite or because of the ban. Educational revisionist mailings from the United States maintained the connection via an American address with his ever-growing, worldwide circle of friends, especially in the English-speaking world.
· Summer - Fall 1982: In spite of all the setbacks, Zündel advanced revisionist educational work by means of the production and sale of publications and especially of very important films on the topics of "Auschwitz", "crematoria", "gas chambers", the "Diary of Anne Frank", etc. Conventional films were on the way out; videos became the new medium of ever-growing popularity, and Zündel switched over. The films already made were being converted to video. His newest documentary reports on his work were now no longer made on film, but on video with tapes and recorders. A new age of mass education via video cassettes had begun.
These video cassettes were being copied, in turn, by the hundreds in the far-flung corners of the world by supporters. Hundreds were sent to Zündel's now global circle of friends via the still-functional American outpost. These videos were a big hit with supporters all over the world.
It was American free-speech supporters and financial donors who kept Zündel's operation alive in these critical eleven months. The American pillar of his work stood firm! The technical conversion to video was made possible particularly by generous donations from elderly German women and men who could still clearly remember the Second World War. These oldsters made great personal sacrifices at that time. Ernst Zündel became their spokesman and hero. He closed the generation gap. Finally here was a voice which spoke of their sufferings during the War and which defended their Generation and Germany's honor!
The production of new and ever more films in many languages forged a link to the past and promised a better future. Zündel had created a movement of "Liberation through Truth Information."
· Late Summer 1982: The Zündel Team worked days and nights on videotapes. Scale models of Auschwitz were being built, slides were being transferred to video. Everyone worked with grim determination, despite all the limitations and financial hardships imposed by the postal ban. The Zündel-Haus was humming with activity.
Meanwhile, Zündel's German passport expired. The German Consulate refused to issue him a new one. Now Zündel could not even travel to the neighboring country, America. He was stuck in Canada like a mouse in a trap.
In Germany, attorney Jürgen Rieger fought for Zündel's freedom in the Stuttgart proceedings conducted against him for ". . . agitating the people" and "defaming the dead". The state's evidence against Zündel included more than two dozen binders full of allegedly "incriminating documents" and booklets - all of it educational material that had been confiscated from Zündel's friends in the course of those massive raids in Germany conducted in late March 1981 by 10,000 policemen, aided by 300 public prosecutors and 50 judges!
· Fall - Winter 1982: Zündel hired a Canadian lawyer and took steps against the revocation of his passport. Attorney Jürgen Rieger did the same in Germany and ran the gamut of German courts about the Zündel passport ban. In the course of these proceedings Rieger was able to look at 200 pages of top-secret documents from the German state. These documents, for the first time ever, provided written evidence of the Federal Republic of Germany's vassal status to the Jewish lobby and made this state of affairs shockingly clear!
Until then, Zündel had not known how seriously he was being taken by the powers in and behind several governments in Europe and Canada. Everything in these papers, which these proceedings had enabled Zündel's attorney to "look at only in the presence of a uniformed police officer", was stamped "Secret!", "Diplomatic Mail!", "Per Diplomatic Courier!", etc. These papers also included letters from snoops and informers, which the German Consulates and the German Embassy in Canada evidently utilized in Canada to obtain information on German-Canadians in that country, including their names and addresses. Scales fell from Zündel's eyes!
(A brief example, stated in one document: On the occasion of a visit to the Consulate, the German Consul in Toronto received a petition from one of the Jewish leaders of Toronto, requesting that the Consul provide him (the Jewish leader) with incriminating materials on Zündel. The Consul assured him that he had none! Seeking help and advice and trying to be obliging, he wrote to the Foreign Office in Bonn. The people there promised to help him out. The Bonn Department of the Interior was also contacted. Bonn's efficiency proved to be truly amazing! More police raids took place in Germany! Only a few months later, the Department of the Interior in Bonn wrote to the Foreign Office in Bonn, which in turn had its lackeys stationed on-site in Toronto at the consulate and whom it now advised to please see to it that the incriminating material, which was even then being shipped to Canada as diplomatic papers, would be passed on to the Jewish leader in Toronto! It was that easy! And Bonn was that eager to cater to Jewish wishes directed against a German citizen living abroad, a man who had fought for decades to clear Germany's name! This is what went on behind the scenes in the Federal Republic of Germany!)
For good measure, the German Consulate contacted the German newspapers of Toronto and asked them to find and provide incriminating material useful to the Jewish side in prosecuting Zündel. One of the German reporters told Zündel confidentially that the Consulate offered to send a driver who would be prepared to pay any price for such material! The Consulate received nothing - because there was nothing incriminating to pass on!
It is also interesting to note that during this time the Federal Criminal Police in Germany was supposed to put Zündel on the German "Wanted Persons List" for his work against the Auschwitz-Lie! Only court victories prevented this from happening.
· Winter 1982: Surprisingly, Zündel won his postal ban case before the Canadian Postal Tribunal. For the moment, the Jewish Torquemadas were paralyzed by the shock! Zündel gave many interviews. The mail, which had been held back, was now delivered to Zündel by the truckload. Most of the cheques had expired. Much of the mail had been rifled and even stolen - by whom, remains a mystery to this day. Zündel suffered staggering financial losses. His publishing company, Samisdat, recovered only slowly, the ban had caused an 80% drop in income. Many supporters became disheartened and withdrew, frightened of the consequences of being linked to Zündel.
(Perversely enough, Zündel never received a copy of the Postal Tribunal's verdict. Not even Canada's Prime Minister, the ultra-liberal Pierre Trudeau and his Postal Minister, André Ouellett, could be prevailed upon. In the years to follow, Zündel would go to court time and again in order to gain access to this postal decision, and after more than 12 years he was finally granted the right to see his own verdict in this matter through the courts and Freedom of Information requests! He was not given a copy, however; rather, his lawyer had to copy it by hand, and type it into the computer she had brought along - right there in the Postal Administration Office! The Jewish community, on the other hand, was already in possession of the decision one week after the verdict was handed down, and quoted it in the press! Equality before the law - Canadian style!)
Why such elaborate secrecy? Today Zündel knows from other documents which he has gleaned from the government via the courts: the government was seized by panic because the Postal Tribunal, which had been impaneled by the government itself, told the Postal Minister, i.e.., the government, clearly and unequivocally: Hands off these Holocaust issues! Zündel's work, the documents stated, involved "...a conflict between two peoples, the Germans and the Jews."
The Postal Tribunal victory in Ottawa gave Zündel intellectual and outreach room to resume and even expand his work once more. Shortly afterwards, attorney Jürgen Rieger also won total victory in the Stuttgart, Germany proceedings against Zündel for allegedly ". . . agitating the people." The state was even ordered by the court to pay for Zündel's legal fees and court costs.
Zündel heaved a sigh of relief. He was cleared of all charges.
The raids and the charges of 31 May 1981 had received much attention in Germany and Canada, resulting in nationwide headlines. Now the Canadian press suppressed Zündel's important victory in Stuttgart almost entirely The Canadian media kept dead quiet. Massive and systematic media manipulation and often censorship became ever more apparent when it came to Zündel - as early as the 1980s. It turned into a see-saw battle between the censors and him. They would attempt to censor - he would find a way to break through. They would find ways to censor him again - he would get around the ban. It was like running through a mine field for Zündel!
· Spring - Summer 1983: Zündel and his team, entirely free from legal restrictions once again, worked at full swing! Due to the revocation of his passport, Zündel could not yet leave Canada. Instead, he invited well-known Revisionists from all parts of the world to come to Canada to work with him there. Documentary videos were produced in Zündel's studios and lecture tours were arranged with these guests. Tens of thousands of press releases, brochures, audio- and videotapes on the topics of "Allied war crimes", "Holocaust, "gas chambers" etc. were being sent by him around the world.
Next, the United States informed Zündel that he was no longer welcome as a visitor. He had written in a publication that the Allies murdered the German guard soldiers of the former concentration camp, Dachau, at the end of the War, and surrendered S.S.-troops of Webling in Bavaria. Zündel had sent thousands of reports of this documented war crime to American press agencies and media outlets. The names of the American soldiers and officers, their ranks and military units were all known. (Source: Howard Büchner, The Hour of the Avengers.) Zündel's publicizing of these murders of German soldiers at the end of the War, as well as of other murders of German prisoners committed by American troops, are what lead to this temporary "ban from the U.S.A. - which was rendered academic by the fact that Zündel no longer had a valid German passport and could not travel to the United States anyhow.
Coincidentally, an American citizen of German-Polish extraction, Frank Walus, fell victim to the virulent "Nazi war criminals" hysteria, which was suddenly being stepped up in the media, whipped up by the activities of the Office of Special Investigations with cases like those of John Demjanjuk and Frank Walus. In the United States, a blind witch hunt mentality was gripping the country. Frank Walus came to Zündel in Toronto, seeking help, advice and support. Zündel immediately made a documentary film with him, arranged and widely publicized a press conference and organized lecture programs for Walus before friends. He also raised funds for Walus for appeal proceedings against the US Nazi hunters and against Simon Wiesenthal, the man who was responsible for the wrongful persecution and the misery being inflicted on this quiet, gentle, innocent little man.
Thanks to Zündel's role (and some of his friends, like Jerome Brentar of Cleveland) in the Walus case, new allies from the United States joined up with Zündel's worldwide "Liberation through Information Truth Campaign," as he called it. With Zündel's help, advice and contacts, Walus was finally exonerated in full. He had been innocent from the beginning.
· Fall - Winter 1983: Without Zündel's knowledge, the Canadian state had conducted Canada-wide investigations against him for years at the behest of Simon Wiesenthal, who had protested in writing and phone calls to Robert Kaplan, Canada's Jewish Minister of Justice, against Zündel's worldwide educational work. Wiesenthal was especially upset when Zündel published Arab-language material and asked for Arab monetary help to finance his global "Truth in History" campaign. For years, it now turned out, the Canadian police had acted on the highest orders to collect fliers, press releases, tapes of radio broadcasts and television appearances by Zündel. As he learned later, some of this material had already been used against him behind the scenes at the Postal Tribunal. More and more layers of a corrupt and smelling political onion were being peeled away.
· November 1983: Sabina Citron, defeated in Ottawa before the Postal Tribunal and, by then, Zündel's well-known Jewish adversary, brought criminal charges against Zündel ". . . for spreading false news", under the Canadian Criminal Code's ancient Section 177, a law that dated from 12th century England.
(Many centuries ago, England's aristocrats, including the King, intended to rid themselves of their critics by means of this paragraph. This ancient legal provision was now dusted off by the Jewish activist Citron and her attorneys and used against Zündel in hopes of silencing him, because he proved unrepentant in his criticism of the "new kings" and continued to question the Holocaust.)
Shortly before Christmas 1983, Zündel was duly dragged before a Canadian Criminal Court. The media were there to record the event. On his way to court he was met by dozens of demonstrators. He was knocked down, spat at and beaten by thugs from the "Jewish Defense League", the JDL, a gang of terrorists notorious throughout North America for their brutal acts of violence. The JDL had been reported by the FBI as having been implicated in bombing attacks on Soviet Consulates and homes of some members of alleged "Nazi war criminals" - sometimes with deadly consequences. In the early 1980s, the gentile media still took a vigorous and often favorable interest in Zündel's court case. Now there was pandemonium - street theater. The media had a field day, with the entire booklet "Did Six Million Really Die?" prominently splashed on the nation's TV screens. Time and again, Canada saw nationwide headlines and broadcasts on the topic of "Freedom of Speech" and "the Zündel Holocaust Trial". This would not last for long.
· January - February 1984: Zündel became the target of a wave of Jewish terrorist acts that shocked even the Toronto police. Every time there was a court date, Zündel and his attorneys had to run the veritable gauntlet. In plain view of the press, and under the watchful eye of the police, Zündel and his lawyer and friends were now being threatened, pushed, beaten and spat on. Every day, he and his team had to fight their way into the courthouse, while a frenzied mob of yarmulke-wearing Jews, waving sticks and brandishing canes, hissed and screamed at Zündel at the top of their lungs.
Zündel turned the tables on his enemies and went on a major media-wide offensive . He alerted the entire world to this scandalous state of affairs with fiery press releases and the distribution of hundreds of videos and thousands of audio tapes with these threats, providing audio-visual documentation of the violence and often death threats aimed at him by Jewish thugs and telephone terrorists, while the police stood by in the beginning and did nothing.
Press people from throughout the world began to approach Zündel for interviews - from the New York Times to many important media outlets from Europe. Each of Zündel's court appearances were now accompanied by massive media turnouts. Newscasts about his case on nightly TV were commonplace. One reporter from the Toronto Sun said that Zündel was ". . . winning the battle of images by mere contrast of behaviour" with the Jewish Defence League!
Due to the daily violence - and for the first time ever! - Zündel organized his "yellow-helmeted bodyguards" . He himself wore a blue hard hat, so the cops could easily locate him in the crowd. This was a bold move on Zündel's part, since private "uniformed" guards are not permitted by law in Canada. These hard hats made him a political celebrity and somewhat of an easily recognizable folk hero. From England, France, Austria, America and Argentina - from all parts of the world! - volunteers now flocked to Zündel's side to protect him from these Jewish terrorists! The police proved tolerant and let them wear their yellow helmets, glad that they could easily distinguish the disciplined Zündel team from the shrieking Jewish bandits.
The nightly TV news coverage helped as well to change police attitudes. Time and again, Jewish thugs or violent demonstrators were now shown in the process of being arrested. Everywhere there was talk of Zündel's "media spectacles" - now carefully planned and carried out for maximum media benefit, since Zündel realized clearly that the information war had to be won in the media - the legal one had to be fought inside the court room. So crass was the difference between the "yellow hard hats" and their assailants that the Jewish thugs began to look like movie "extras" who were in Zündel's pay! Before the public's eyes, they turned into "the bad guys" - the so-called "Nazi" in the blue hard hat and his friends wearing yellow hard hats had turned into the "good guys"!
Outrage reigned in Jewish circles. The JDL was furious. Zündel had managed to turn the table on his enemies! This was an unanticipated side effect! The Jewish forces were beside themselves. They now attacked television reporters verbally and publicly and soon with fists and clubs for showing Zündel in such a positive light in their nightly news reports. This spectacle went on for months - at every court appearance!
· June 1984: The preliminaries for the Zündel Trial began. At the Zündel-Haus, there was massive telephone terror. Hundreds of calls disrupted the workers' days. The woman attorney, the 13th on a long list, whom Zündel found after much bother and searching, turned out to be a "lazy reader", as he would later put it, with a "phlegmatic approach to her profession". Much to Zündel's disappointment, this young attorney failed to grasp the significance of the moment, devoid of the ability to think historically. She did not study the many important documents he gave her and prepared for the proceedings only superficially. Zündel was furious!
Meanwhile, the Jewish side, i.e.., the state, moved in the heaviest legal "expert witness" guns it could muster - among them Dr. Raul Hilberg, the "Holocaust Pope", who in the course of decades had put together several weighty tomes on the topic of "the extermination of the Jews in Europe". The pro-Holocaust forces also summoned an 84-year-old Jew, Dr. John Fried from New York, who - much to the prosecution's horror - ended up testifying how he, as editor of the Nuremberg Trial court transcripts, had been in charge of deciding which of these transcripts would make it into print for posterity. He testified and showed how he had edited and selected prosecution-useful transcripts - and thrown everything that was detrimental to the Allied's case into the waste paper basket of history!
(Until then, it had been assumed by practically all historians that the dozens of volumes were the "complete" sets of those thick transcript volumes in the libraries of the world that issued from the Nuremberg Trials contained everything that had come to light in Nuremberg. It was not until the Zündel trial preliminaries in Toronto in 1984 that the world - and the astonished reporters, most of all - found out what had really taken place in Nuremberg, and how history had been deliberately manipulated even then!)
As a consequence, to almost everyone's amazement and to the Jewish side's horror, the judge, who was of Ukrainian extraction, decided not to admit these court transcripts as evidence in this trial, since after all they were deemed only "excerpts" - selected fragments of testimony and documents. This decision shocked the Jewish leadership present in the courtroom so badly that the judge had to call for order several times. In a great hurry, a new judge for the main hearings was selected by the powers-that-be to replace the "uppity" Ukrainian judge!
Meanwhile, Zündel and his chief adviser, Dr. Faurisson, decided to have the trial, in which Zündel's lethargic attorney was cutting such a poor figure, censored by the court. In Canada an accused has the right to request such a measure. The Judge granted the "ban on publication of the evidence" request by Zündel, as it is called in legal jargon. Not a word of what went on in the courtroom and, hence, in the two weeks of preliminary hearing in the summer of 1984 reached the Canadian public!
The press and the Jewish leaders were perplexed by Zündel's wish because of his usual headline-grabbing tactics. They smelled defeat. It made no sense to them. After two weeks of hearings the Judge found enough grounds to proceed with a criminal trial against Zündel and ordered a trial for January of 1985.
Zündel fired his attorney and began the search for a better one - one who could appreciate the significance of this hour, who was willing to inform himself, and who came to this battle with a historical perspective. Enter the Battling Barrister, Doug Christie - a legal mind who cuts a mighty swath and quite possibly the finest constitutional lawyer of his generation!
In these weeks the Jewish leadership made a crucial mistake which in the future was to have devastating consequences for them and for Jewish interests. The Jewish leadership interpreted Zündel's wish for censorship of the trial as a sign that Zündel was only a "braggart" who had merely bluffed and, now that his bluff had been called by them, was backing off. Throughout North America, Jewish reporters, radio and television commentators and public speakers now attacked Zündel, belittling him and heaping scorn on him for his alleged cowardice. They sensed disgrace and defeat in the offing for Zündel in the upcoming trial. They thought they were in for a spectacle.
For this reason, the press concentrated heavily on the new trial. The intent was to show Zündel up for a fool and a loser. The level of media interest was astounding!
Quietly and with painstaking attention to detail, Zündel reinforced his building with security cameras, spotlights, barricaded windows and doors, barbed-wire barriers and similar security measures, and worked feverishly on an in-depth defense strategy. He knew that he was preparing for the legal battle of his life. He worked deliberately and carefully. He was resolved to prove that there was something not quite "right" about this so-called "Holocaust"! Not even he knew then how deep the fraud would run!
· September 1984: Despite the security measures, someone detonated the first bomb in Zündel's annex at 4 a.m. His building and his neighborhood were shaken up by the explosion. Fortunately no people were injured. Political terrorism à la Beirut had now come to Toronto! Jewish circles contacted the media and claimed responsibility for the pipe bomb, stating brazenly that they had done it in order to scare Zündel and teach him a lesson. To this day, the Toronto police have never identified or arrested the perpetrators.
Zündel gritted his teeth, repaired the damage, and planned still more intensive security measures. With the explosion of the bomb he lost all insurance protection - if anything else were to happen, he himself would have to bear all the costs!
(Due to the escalating terror, Zündel's first marriage had ended in separation, and his two sons lived with their mother. He was divorced in 1989.)
· Fall - Winter 1984: Zündel's organization and publishing firm survived the bomb, the demonstrations, and the attacks. His advertising studio, however, did not. His customers, many of them Jewish, canceled their orders. The once flourishing business lost account after account. At the beginning of 1985, Zündel's chief source of income, his work as graphic artist, was at the end. The business was ruined; only a few smaller clients and personal friends remained faithful to him.
This proved to be a mixed blessing: Zündel could now devote his undivided energy and all his attention to the preparations for his First Great Holocaust Trial.
He made use of the months before the trial to focus the attention of the world press on Toronto. He beat the drum relentlessly, for friend and foe alike. He achieved a sort of ideological synchronization among the publishers of his acquaintance around the world, who promised, in order to help Zündel, to focus heavily on the Holocaust topic in their own publications. In the weeks and months before the trial began, Zündel supplied them with a steady stream of research and documents.
Quietly he organized his trial right down to the smallest detail. Throughout the world, witnesses were sought and found, examined and chosen. Typists and translators in several languages were being hired, trained and prepared for the trial. Evidence was found and procured from all parts of the globe and sent to Toronto, where it was analyzed, catalogued and readied for use at the appropriate time. He acquired new typewriters and photocopiers, new cameras, video- and tape recorders. He trained bodyguards and first-aid attendants. Internal training courses were given on all sorts of topics. Lectures explained to the team, drawn from around the world, what the upcoming trial was really all about - to get to the bottom of the "Holocaust"!
Soon, Zündel-Haus bustled with activists. All this work was financed not with large donations, but with hundreds of small and smaller ones that arrived in the mail every day, often without return addresses, sent by people from all parts of the world. Zündel turned to his regular monthly supporters with appeal after appeal and begged day and night for the means, the help and the support which he considered necessary to be able to fight such an extremely important historical case through to the end - right to victory!
The bomb had taught him to be wary about security. As a security measure, he wrote to the Police Chief of Toronto and to explain and outline the historical significance of the coming trial and the worldwide media attention it would attract to Toronto. He said that Jewish terrorists might plant more bombs or even kidnap and murder witnesses. The Police Chief, undoubtedly remembering the exploded bomb, sent higher-ranking officials to speak with Zündel and his attorney. Plans were drawn up and security forces coordinated which would enable a trouble-free trial.
In the 1980s the police were still more or less politically neutral in this matter. Since then they have become so intimidated, and the atmosphere has become so poisoned by the constant chorus of "hate monger", "Nazi" and "racist", that today they will no longer follow promising leads or even interrogate known witnesses to the arsons and murder attempts that were perpetrated against Zündel later!
· January 7, 1985: The First Great Holocaust Trial began. This trial, lasting 39 court days, was a worldwide media sensation. All of Canada's television stations and most of the radio stations reported through well-known reporters or columnists almost every day, prominently and in detail, about the events in court.
Zündel now engaged in "public education" on a grand scale, via Canada's media, far above and beyond the courtroom scene - in the country's living rooms, offices and universities. By default, Sabina Citron's vengeance had caused a vivid sprouting of Holocaust Revisionism. Headlines proclaiming"Gassings disputed: Nazi Confessions false, prof claims", "Disease killed Nazi's prisoners, MD says", "Survivor never saw actual gassing deaths", "Holocaust scholar quoted madman, publishing trial told", and "Scientific evidence of Holocaust missing," shocked a complacent and ignorant public.
Shock about this public relations disaster followed tangible panic among the Jewish circles. They had not counted on this massive free publicity for Zündel's cause! The Zündel media juggernaut rolled on and was awesome to behold. Zündel's good-looking and fearless attorney, Doug Christie, dominated the court. Non-stop, Zündel witness testimony appeared in newspaper headlines and the evening news broadcasts. By contrast, the government's witnesses showed themselves to be weak and without much credibility, even detrimental to the entire traditional Holocaust story. Day by day, the Crown attorney became ever more nervous, lost 12 pounds and was getting quite haggard! Quite literally, the Holocaust was melting before the public's incredulous eyes!
By contrast, the atmosphere inside the courtroom became nasty and then downright toxic. The Judge, a visibly hostile man named Locke, intervened ever more spitefully and frequently in the proceedings against Zündel, turned red in the face with anger, and even threatened to charge Christie himself for lack of respect for the Court because Christie questioned some of the judge's obviously biased rulings. There were scenes of abuse by Jewish spectators against Zündel's friends. Even his collaborators and witnesses were threatened. The police stepped in, time and again, to separate the fighting parties. Outside, not far from the courthouse, one of the translators was punched in the face by some thugs. He appeared, dripping blood, in the courtroom.
In the end, Zündel himself stepped before the Judge and did something that many would later criticize. Asked about his views on the topics of "Holocaust", "genocide of the Jews", "gas chambers" etc., he explained in clear and simple terms to the judge, jury, Crown attorney and the global press why he, who in earlier days had believed without reservation in the standard Hollywood version of the so-called "Holocaust", now no longer believed in it.
Hand on the Bible, he reviewed his position in the witness stand - calmly, objectively, but emphatically and with much feeling. For hours he explained why he had published the pamphlet "Did Six Million Really Die?" He testified calmly that his purely emotional belief in German guilt and responsibility, implanted in him in his childhood and youth, had over time been supplanted by an awareness of history founded on facts.
He gave a full public accounting. He identified himself with his German people's history. He explained what he had learned, as he saw and understood it, including Adolf Hitler's era - Hitler's plans, his vision and his goals. He said that Hitler had had a love affair with the German people; he had gained the people's confidence; he had reinstated their honour and had created work, bread, cleanliness and order and had rekindled national pride. Zündel stated that Adolf Hitler had been a misunderstood genius whose philosophy of life was totally distorted by self-serving, left-over Allied war propaganda about the Holocaust. Hitler had opposed Communism, testified Zündel, hand still on the Bible, because there was no other choice. The Second World War, said Zündel, was not of Hitler's doing. It had been forced on Germany. Hitler did not want that war. He needed peace to restore Germany!
The press and even some of his friends said later that, at that moment, with those statements, Zündel had sealed his own fate! While he should have attacked the murky tales about the Holocaust, said Monday Morning Quarterbacks, he should not have defended Adolf Hitler! He should not have been so suicidally frank! He ought to have given more vague, more evasive answers! He could have maligned and smeared Hitler, simply to save his own skin!
Those who know Ernst Zündel know that this was preordained. He could not have testified in any other way. It was a foregone conclusion for Zündel - he knew what he was doing. His conscience left him no other choice. Fully conscious of the ultimate costs to him, he remained true to himself and his philosophy of life, even in the witness stand of a hostile court - for he was conscious of this historical moment. Knowing what he knew, he could not pretend otherwise. With that testimony in an Orwellian court in 1984, he wrote his own "guilty" verdict. By doing so, he saved an important part of his people's honour. In the face of the inexorable adversary he bore witness to the fact that what is true in the past, and what was true that moment, would remain true for all time.
· March 25, 1985: After the jury returned its guilty verdict, the judge sentenced Zündel to 15 months' imprisonment and three years on probation. During this time he would be forbidden to say, write or show anything about the Holocaust in public. He said later to a friend: "A tear appeared in my left eye. Only in my left eye. I had no control over it. It rolled slowly down my cheek, and I didn't wipe it away. I have often wondered for whom that tear was meant."
The cold steel handcuffs closed about his wrists even while he was still in the courtroom. That very same day, he sat, convicted of thought crimes for the first time in his life, in a lonely, dank and dark prison cell in Canada, far from home. He had dared what no-one dared before him - he had confronted the powerful Jewish lobby with a Holocaust question that simply demanded an answer: "Did six million really die?" Now it was time to pay the price. Prison, ridicule and relentless defamation in the media were that price.
In the world outside the prison, powerful opponents were getting together in order to drive him out of Canada for good. After all, before the world, Zündel had unmasked himself as a "Nazi" - as though in a democracy such as Canada a person's political opinion were a reason for automatic deportation! Not that it mattered to the thought police one whit!
· April 12, 1985: The Canadian Department of Citizenship and Immigration ordered a "deportation inquiry" - in other words, a mere formality leading up to Zündel's expected deportation from Canada. It seemed to all and sundry that Zündel's fate was sealed.
(Here, too, convenient politics kicked in. Zündel had the right to take his case to the Appeal Court and then even to the Supreme Court before a deportation would even have been possible. But the immigration minister in charge was eager to report "case closed" to the powerful Jewish lobby, which was then holding a Holocaust Conference in Canada's capital city, Ottawa. She appeared and gave her report, to a lot of media coverage and applause. One year later, she was out of office!)
· April 29, 1985: Zündel found himself already before another tribunal, the Immigration judge - an event which usually takes years. New headlines resulted. The hastily arranged deportation hearing took place in the presence of a huge throng of eager press. Zündel, by then wise to the political use of media props, had painted his face black so as to demonstrate that if he were a black immigrant, he would perhaps be able to enjoy all his rights or even preferential treatment. He pointedly informed the press that as a member of the much vilified white German minority, he was not granted these advantages. That image and story went around the world. Clippings and photos were sent to him from Australia and even South Africa.
In accordance with the wishes of the Jewish lobby and the Department of Citizenship and Immigration, the Immigration judge took precisely 11 minutes to reach his verdict about Zündel. He ruled that Zündel had to be deported as an "Undesirable" without delay from Canada since he had been convicted to more than six months. He handed Zündel his deportation order - a document eagerly studied by an incredulous media a few moments later during a press conference outside immigration headquarters.
Since Zündel guessed what would be in store for him, he filed his appeal against the deportation that same day - only hours after the verdict. Canadian law automatically granted him this right to appeal. However, this appeal was not heard until two years later, on June 25, 1987. This gained him valuable time, which he used to continue his research and to quietly prepare and organize his appearances in the Appeal Court of Ontario
· Summer 1986: The Zündel Appeal Trial was heard in the largest courtroom of Toronto, with the Chief Justice of Ontario presiding. The panel was made up of five Judges. Zündel was led into the courtroom under police guard, in handcuffs, straight from the prison where he had to check himself in the day before - a humiliating ritual that Canadian law required.
This time, one of the fairest hearings in Canada took place, with famous conservative Judge Howland presiding. The judge immediately ordered Zündel's handcuffs removed and told him he could sit with his friends. The Zündel team was in high spirits. All of them could sense a change in the attitude of this judge, compared to the disdain displayed by Judge Locke in the 1985 trial. The five distinguished-looking older Anglo-Saxons seemed favorably disposed towards Zündel's version of events in Locke's court room, who still suffered under the strict gag order imposed by Judge Locke. Unfortunately, even after sessions lasting almost a week, the Court did not come to an immediate decision. That sweeping gag order against Zündel remained!
· January 23, 1987: The Appeal Court decided in favor of Zündel - against the Canadian state and the Holocaust Lobby! Judge Locke, who had presided over the first trial, was blamed by the Appeal Court, i.e.., the higher court, for grave procedural errors in the Zündel case.
As usual during such court processes, Zündel was in jail again while this happened, where he was detained for the weekend out of sheer bureaucratic chicanery, despite his victory. The excuse he was given by prison authorities was that the judge's decision came too late in the day - there were no prison officials available during the weekend to release him!
On Monday morning, Canada's foremost representatives of the press awaited Zündel at the jail's exit in an almost festive atmosphere. Zündel held a jail gate press conference and settled the score with his opponents - publicly before the press! Once again, the fickle reporters treated him like a folk hero. Someone - it's a mystery to this day, for there was no driver in the bus! - had parked a big Greyhound bus right at the gate, its motor noisily idling away, in an attempt to drown out Zündel's voice. There was enormous public interest in the reasons for the verdict, and articles and editorials, some even in favor of Zündel, swept the country.
· March 3, 1987: The state did not give up! It was taking the Zündel case right to the highest Canadian court, the Supreme Court in Ottawa. This highest court in the land was now supposed to declare Zündel guilty, in accordance with government and Jewish Lobby wishes.
· April 7, 1987: The Supreme Court in Ottawa heard the Zündel case. The state was again represented primarily by Jewish lawyers - a pattern that is now ingrained. The Holocaust Lobby was also once again represented by famous names in the profession, mostly Jewish attorneys - such as those from the B'nai Brith Lodge. In front of the red-robed judges, who sat there stony-faced in their white ermine fur collars, the Jewish lawyers spouted their hateful tirades and shrill invectives at Zündel, who was sitting quietly in the courtroom, taking in this almost surreal scene, surrounded by media and friends, wondering why fate had chosen him to be the Jewish lightning rod!
· June 4, 1987: The Supreme Court rejected the state's appeal to quash the Appeal Court's verdict, and upheld the verdict of the Ontario Court of Appeal, handed down by Chief Justice Howland. It meant that Judge Locke was in effect found to have been incompetent or prejudiced, and his verdict was declared null and void! Zündel stood before the Canadian population untarnished, an innocent victim of a temporarily perverted system of political justice. It was a stunning victory!
The Canadian state and the Province of Ontario now had two options open: to drop the Zündel case as hopeless, or to charge Zündel anew and to begin all over again with new proceedings - in other words; renew the persecution!
Zündel warned Canada and the Jewish leaders on the steps of the Supreme Court during a press conference that very day that a new trial, if one should come about, would be long and tough and even more revealing than the last, and that it would not be over in anything less than four months. He warned of investigations by experts and of material samples taken in Auschwitz. He predicted that the Canadian taxpayers would have to pay millions for the Jewish Lobby's thirst for revenge and their attempt to silence him, the truth teller. He said that if he had to suffer through another trial, it would cost the Jewish Lobby dearly in public credibility! He said that enough was enough!
Only a few minutes after the Supreme Court verdict in Ottawa in favor of Zündel, the Ontario Minister of Justice, Ian Scott, announced at a press conference in distant Toronto that he intended to re-charge Zündel - for the same booklet and the same "offence".
· On July 7, 1987 the Canadian state was forced to rescind Zündel's deportation as unlawful, because of his appeal proceedings victory before the Ontario Supreme Court. For the time being, at least, he was allowed to remain in Canada.
The Jewish lobby was beside itself with rage. In the course of these days anyone with half a brain could see just who hated whom! And it was very obvious why!
· August 25, 1987: Zündel's nemesis, the Jewish activist and millionaire, Sabina Citron, once again brought new criminal charges against Zündel for a radio program of January 30, 1987. Citron was outraged that the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation and the Jewish reporter, David Schatzky had given Zündel the opportunity to proclaim his opinion on the subject of the "Holocaust" on his program.
· September 18, 1987: The Crown, i.e.. the state and the police, again investigated Zündel. Citron's charges were dropped because Zündel had merely exercised the rights guaranteed him by the Constitution, said the prosecutor. This decision gave Zündel a few months of breathing space.
· December 22, 1987: Sabina Citron, becoming ever more outraged, attempted to be admitted by the Court as co-prosecutor in the new, upcoming Second Great Holocaust Trial - just as had already been the case at the Postal Tribunal in Ottawa way back in 1981. The very same day, the judge firmly rejected her motion.
Once again the Holocaust Lobby went wild with rage, button-holing press reporters, hinting darkly at anti-semitism in the judiciary and the legal system.
· Christmas 1987 and January 1988: Zündel doubled and tripled his media outreach with press releases, all of which indicated the content and substance of the coming Holocaust Trial. Again, he invited the world media to participate in the trial in Toronto. The Jewish lobby was incensed and demanded that the state take steps against Zündel's media activities. Even before the trial began, there was a vigorous debate in the Canadian press as to how best to stem the tide of the "Zündel-phenomenon". As early as February 11, 1987, Lorrie Goldstein, a Jewish columnist with the "Toronto Sun", had snidely opined that the trial ought to be reported ". . . on page 90, hidden among the soap ads." On June 8, 1987, the "Calgary Herald", the largest daily newspaper of Calgary, Alberta, reported: "Leading members of the Jewish community visited the major news media of Toronto and implored them to report differently about the new trial than they had about the last." The "Globe and Mail", Canada's best-known newspaper, editorialized on August 26, 1987 that a decision ought to be reached "in the public interest" to place "extra restrictions" on the trial reports. Clearly the Holocaust lobbyists were afraid of what another Zündel Holocaust Trial might bring to light! They feared additional revelations as the devil fears the crucifix!
One of the best-known senior reporters in Canada, George Bain, later reported in Maclean's Magazine of May 23, 1988 ". . . how unusual it was, and how quickly and unanimously the media managers had responded to the question that they had not been put under any pressure, and that no one had gone to them with the intention of influencing them." Only Ian Urquhart of the "Toronto Star" later admitted openly that a delegation of Jewish leaders had informed him of the wishes of the Jewish community that Zündel's ". . . hate-filled news and views ought not to receive any publicity."
· January 18, 1988: On the anniversary of the founding of Bismarck's empire, the Second Great Holocaust Trial began against the German Ernst Zündel in Canada.
Zündel had again prepared in-depth for this new trial. All the experiences gained in the 1985 trial now bore fruit. He and his team, the witnesses, attorneys, translators etc., were working round the clock. Everything ran like a well-oiled machine.
The editors of the "Toronto Star" had promised the Jewish delegation of leaders that the paper would print its Zündel court-reports always on the same place and page inside the newspaper, and that it would take the personal approval of one of the highest bosses of Toronto's largest daily to print an account of the Zündel trial elsewhere in the paper, much less on the front page. Ironically, the bottom line of this decision was that the 66 articles printed in the Toronto Star about the 1988 Zündel Trial appeared on the same page and at the same place every day, easy for all the readers to find! It was like having a "Zündel column" in Canada's largest circulation newspaper. Once again Jewish censors had shot themselves in the foot!
The Jewish Defense League and its thugs were of course on duty again on the first court day of 1988, attacking Zündel's party, just as they had done during the 1985 Zündel Trial. Zündel's bodyguard was numerically stronger this time and soon had the situation under control. Again, as they had done before, they steadily fought their way through to the entrance of the courthouse. The Toronto Police were also better prepared, and after only a few minutes the ringleaders of the Jewish thugs were handcuffed and lying face-down in the slush and snow on the sidewalk, while Toronto policemen knelt on them and held them down, waiting for the paddy wagons to haul them off to jail.
The media couldn't have asked for anything better! Their cameras clicked and whirred, and the none-too-pretty picture of the Jewish terrorists lying handcuffed on the ground soon appeared on TV screens and newspaper front pages throughout the country. Prompt sentencing of the thugs was the result - which meant safety for Zündel and his friends on their way to the court, and orderly legal proceedings.
In the courtroom itself, Judge Thomas immediately dove for cover and hid behind the principle of "judicial notice", which is a rarely used concept in Canadian court tradition - but which occurs routinely in Revisionist trials in Germany, Austria and Switzerland. "Judicial notice" is a legal term and indicates that certain matters are not open to doubt - such as, for example, that the sun rises in the east and sets in the west, or that night follows day. This was to be the guiding principle pertaining to the "Holocaust" topic for this trial!
To apply such a legal principle in such a serious and controversial historical court case in Canada, where so many issues were disputed, violated the Anglo-Saxon tradition of freedom of speech and opinions and civil rights, even the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms. In fact, it was unheard-of! Attorney Doug Christie had to fight with the judge over every word and every sentence. In the end, he was able to tone down the judge's "judicial notice of the Holocaust" ruling - unfortunately, he could not prevent it entirely. In the Second Great Holocaust Trial, Judge Thomas coyly refused to talk about the "Six million"!
This was important and lethal to the Zündel case. It meant that Zündel would not be allowed to defend himself with all the facts and documents at his disposal. The Judge forbade it. The only question that remained was whether Zündel was ". . . too dumb to understand the self-evident", or whether he acted ". . . with malicious intent against the Jews" when he dared to raise his questions about the "Holocaust"!
Thus, Zündel stood before the jury like one who was not quite "normal", or "right in the head" - for according to the Judge's decree, was it not crystal clear that a "Holocaust" had happened and that any normal person must be able to grasp that? After all, the "self-evident" nature of the Holocaust could be shown and proven with hundreds of books written by eye witnesses, Holocaust survivors and historians whose material was freely available in any library!
All this in 1988!
Lawyer Christie told Zündel that under these conditions, and given Judge Thomas's "judicial notice", he could not possibly win the case for his client. He advised Zündel to restrict his defense to a minimum, not to waste his time, and to save the money required for the enormous costs entailed in the defense of a losing proposition. Christie kept beseeching Zündel: "Before this judge, in this courtroom, in this court, the battle is hopeless! I can't win it for you!"
Zündel requested time to think it over. A few days later he called his inner circle team together, outlined the situation and told them: "We're soldiering right on! This time I am not fighting for myself. I'm fighting for the honor of my Fatherland. I want to have our extremely important witness testimony recorded in the Canadian court transcripts and the history books for posterity. We're fighting this together - down to the bitter end!"
The outcome was now a foregone conclusion - or so it was believed.
The media pressure and the threats of violence against Zündel diminished markedly after the judge has taken "judicial notice" of the Holocaust. The uniformed policemen, who to date had accompanied Zündel's every step, even in the courthouse and on his way to the washroom, now disappeared. Clearly even the uppermost echelons in the Police Department knew what a favor had been handed the Holocaust Lobby! There was an air of anticlimax in the halls of justice. The Holocaust Lobby triumphed openly, as though the ruling of "judicial notice" had already guaranteed forever the lie's victory over truth.
Zündel and his attorney Christie took hours-long walks through the snowy parks near the Zündel-Haus and discussed in detail the possibilities that were still open to them. Next on the discussion agenda were the specialists, witnesses and court experts who had come from all parts of the world to help. Zündel sounded out their attitudes, and in the end he himself set the course for the trial: in spite of his attorneys' and some of his foremost advisors' recommendations, he would see the trial through as planned - in-depth and as though no "judicial notice" ruling had occurred.
He declared that it would be attorney Christie's task to block, to undermine, to by-pass, to ignore the judge's "judicial notice", to hollow it out and to cut it down to size, bit by bit via "salami tactic" with a kind of "policy of small steps", until in the end the Zündel Team would be able to demolish or at least neutralize and invalidate the government's evidence. The witnesses for the defense would attempt to have all their documents submitted and discussed in court, regardless of the outcome. In this way the Zündel Team would engage in judicial positional warfare, digging down into the subject matter in a kind of judicial trench warfare - much like many battles were fought in the First and often in the Second World War on the battle fields of Europe!
This turned out to be a tough decision! The Zündel-House became a Command Bunker extraordinaire, from where phone calls, fax letters and press releases were fired out into the world - daily and sometimes hourly. A second house was rented to accommodate the guests and the additional bodyguards, witnesses, lawyers, secretaries etc. Everywhere, important documents were analyzed, sorted, classified, and reproduced on five new photocopiers, to be submitted in court at the right time. The psychic energy was high. Production was spectacular. Soon everything was running smoothly.
In the course of the Second Great Holocaust Trial, cooks prepared almost 6,000 meals, which were eaten jointly in two large canteen-like dining rooms. Carpenters reconstructed "Auschwitz beds" exactly as per the design of the bunk beds of Auschwitz - and witnesses, advisers and typists slept right there in the building, crowded like sardines, in bunks stacked up to four high. This saved the defense a great deal of money, as a hotel room cost about $100 per night per person in Toronto's city centre.
Inside the courtroom, day in, day out, Zündel's team of lawyers, witnesses and advisors now revised and rewrote Germany's recent history - "judicial notice" or no "judicial notice"! The Crown attorney and the Judge could hardly believe their eyes and ears, clearly frustrated by the happenings. Slice by slice and day by day, the old and false Hollywood fake history version of the Holocaust version was dissected, scrutinized, debunked!
In the midst of the legal proceedings, electrifying news hits the Zündel-Haus much like a lightning bolt! The warden of one of the largest American prisons, Bill Armontrout, who was to serve as Zündel-witness and to testify about the involved technical procedures in American gassings of felons sentenced to death, suggested an expert, Fred Leuchter from Boston, as witness for the defense in questions pertaining to gas chambers! Fred Leuchter, he said almost in passing - not knowing that history would be forever changed - was just the right man. He was currently the only expert and consultant in the entire United States on matters of execution equipment, including electric chairs and gas chambers! Armontrout even had the address and telephone number of this potential expert witness on hand!
What a sensation! The legal team had not even known that such an expert still existed! They had been under the impression that most had retired or died!
Zündel reacted with lightning speed, even though he was already in the midst of the actual trial proceedings. Without hesitation he sent his foremost adviser, Professor Robert Faurisson, to Boston to check Leuchter out thoroughly.
It turned out that Leuchter believed in the Holocaust and that he did not doubt the gas chambers, insofar as he had heard about them. However, everything else about him indicated that here was a man who knew what he was doing, that he understood his job - and that he was honest and professionally ethical.
Dr. Faurisson flew back to Toronto to report to Zündel. Leuchter was asked to come to Toronto himself to meet with Doug Christie and speak with the other experts - and to analyze and to familiarize himself with the documents and testimony of both sides, especially Dr. Raul Hilberg's trial transcripts of the 1985 trial and the statements in his books. The models of Auschwitz and Birkenau, which the Zündel team had constructed to scale from German blueprints discovered by Dr. Faurisson at the Auschwitz archives were also shown and explained to him.
Zündel asked Leuchter for a cost estimate for his expert report and testimony. The price was steep; but the testimony was extremely important. Now what to do? From where was the extra money for Leuchter's report to come? Zündel examined bank statements and current income from donations. He compared the constantly accruing expenses and considered tapping his strategic financial reserve. He sounded out his supporters near and far to see whether any extra donations might be obtained. It was tough going - the funds were just not there. Meanwhile, Leuchter flew back to Boston.
Time was of the essence, since the trial was already approaching half-time. Zündel spent entire nights on the telephone and explained the situation to donors both large and small. In the end, some larger contributions from several elderly German women and men became the deciding factor in this historically so exceedingly important move.
At that point, Zündel made a bold decision. Leuchter would not merely testify. He would go after evidence first-hand!
Together with a small, quickly-assembled group consisting of a translator for Leuchter, his wife who would double as typist and secretary, a draughtsman and a video- and cameraman, it was decided that the Leuchter team would fly to Auschwitz and Majdanek in what was then still Communist Poland. He would examine and measure the facilities and draw up precise technical building and floor plans. Working meticulously to prevent contamination, he would take material samples, wrap them up carefully, and smuggle them back to the United States, where a well-known laboratory would examine and analyze them for their Zyklon B content. This dramatic expedition would be carried out clandestinely while the trial still continued in Toronto!
At the Zündel-Haus it felt like at General Staff Headquarters during wartime! People were busy planning, testing, measuring, weighing and packing. Work plans were drawn up. Visas, passports and plane tickets were arranged in a great hurry. And then the word was: "Silence!"
The Zündel-Leuchter-Holocaust-Expedition left North America and Europe at different times and via different airports. Friendly Poles awaited them, to be of assistance, at the other end. Everything went off without a hitch.
The rest is Revisionist history!
Leuchter's investigation was first rate pioneering work. Today millions of people around the world already know that the forensic evidence of Leuchter's report and Professor Roth's Auschwitz sample analysis have acquitted Germany of the crime of having carried out or at least attempted the genocide of the Jews by means of "gas chambers."
· April 20, 1988: On Adolf Hitler's birthday, Zündel introduced the witness Leuchter and his report to the Court in Toronto.
Panic! Horror! The faces of the Jewish representatives showed total disbelief! The Judge and Crown attorney were speechless at this development! The Judge ordered a lengthy break to recover his composure. Then the jury members were sent from the courtroom.
In their absence, and under orders of strict secrecy and a ban on publication for the media, negotiations were conducted to determine what the extremely important "Witness Leuchter" could or could not testify to - and what the Court would graciously "accept" and allow as evidence to be put to the jury!
What happened next was a legal disgrace! Leuchter was forbidden to say anything about his findings in the presence of the jury!
The Crown and the Judge wanted to rescue what could still be rescued, and felt that they would be able to embarrass the defense by demanding the personal appearance, for cross-examination, of the expert chemist who had performed the analysis in the American laboratory - the analysis which would consign the claim of Jewish mass murders by Zyklon B gas to the dust heap of history. This decision to get the chemist could indeed prove dangerous to the defense, since the man in question worked thousands of kilometers away in the United States. No one could force him to fly to Toronto to testify.
It was truly touch and go!
Zündel was on the phone for hours! But in the end, late at night, everything was arranged! Professor Dr. Roth, for ten years professor for chemistry at the famous Cornell University in the United States, would testify! Personally! The very next day! Of course he demanded a horrendous fee - US 300.00 per hour! - from the instant he left his house until the moment he returned. These funds, too, were somehow raised by Zündel. When you ask Zündel nowadays how it was done, he will say quietly: "I pray these people to me who will help me, again and again!"
The next morning in court, Christie stood up and calmly informed the judge that he intended to call as his next witness the chemistry expert, Dr. Roth, who had, in an American laboratory, analyzed Leuchter's brick sludge and concrete samples from Auschwitz!
The Judge and Crown attorney were flabbergasted! Again, they had shot themselves in the foot!
(Later on, when Leuchter, who had exceptional technical knowledge but no formal engineering credentials, was dragged before a U.S. court and was publicly attacked and defamed in the media, Dr. Roth's sample analyses stood firm, to bear witness to the scientific facts and thus the truth against historical lies - all thanks to Judge Thomas and what he thought would be a monkey wrench!)
· April 22, 1988: David Irving, the famous British historian - a best-selling author of over 30 books on World War II, who until then had also believed in the Holocaust - took the stand in Toronto as the last witness for the Zündel defense. To the amazement and shock of all present, Irving publicly revised his previous views on the gas chambers and the Holocaust! He called the Leuchter report a "shattering" document. Looking over at Zündel in the dock, he said that it was "...a stroke of genius" on the part of the defense to have commissioned these first ever forensic investigations of Auschwitz!
Leuchter's and Irving's testimony were the culmination of the 1988 trial. Press attention was worldwide - for months and years to come!
· May 11, 1988: The Second Great Holocaust Trial lasted more than four months, all told - including 61 court days, as Zündel had prophesied in that Ottawa press conference in June of 1987. Just as Christie had predicted the very first day in court, Zündel again was found "guilty". "Judicial notice" made no other verdict possible. The jury had no choice. Night follows day. Certain "facts" may not be called into question, all the forensic evidence notwithstanding!
Remember Galileo - at the end of the twentieth century!
In a hate-laced, vicious judgment, Judge Thomas sentenced Zündel to nine months imprisonment without parole. Again, Zündel was led off in handcuffs straight to Toronto's Don Jail. As before, attorney Christie soon obtained his release on cash bail. The gag order, more strict this time than in 1985, was re-imposed. Zündel was not allowed to leave downtown Toronto. He was ordered to report twice a week to the police and a parole officer in the inner city, along with dope pushers and pimps. The political thumbscrews were being re-applied.
The media were given carte blanche for months and even years to come. Venom, filth and lies were dumped on Zündel by the bucketful. He could not answer back. His reputation was severely damaged. It was media sharks in a feeding frenzy all over again. Now he was a disreputable, convicted "Nazi" whom the media, the politicians and the mob could attack and vilify with impunity at every opportunity.
· May 13, 1988: The verdict came into force. In the Zündel-Haus - now re-named "Zündel-Bunker" by the media - Ernst Zündel, just released from jail, consoled his comrades-in-arms. He looked wan and worn-out. His hands trembled. He told his crew and supporters he planned for the long haul. He could not sleep and recovered his legendary vigor only slowly.
After a period of rest and recuperation he began to work again, this time on the appeal to the Ontario Appeals Court.
Howland, the brilliant and Honourable Chief Justice of Ontario, had in the meantime stepped down and soon after passed away. New, younger, "politically correct" judges followed in the old Anglo-Saxon's footsteps. Quite a few Jewish judges would eventually be appointed to high-ranking positions. The legal climate in Canada was undergoing a transmutation in those years that would bode ill for Canada.
On the very day of the "guilty" verdict, Zündel's attorneys registered their "leave for appeal" with the court. They had been working on this throughout the entire trial. Both the Court and the media were enormously surprised. Appeal papers of this kind normally took attorneys weeks or even months to prepare. The Zündel-team stood ready within days.
In order to qualify for and signal serious intentions to fight an appeal, the convicted person has to buy the transcripts from the court reporters' office. Over 12,000 pages in this trial, worth almost $20,000, had to be purchased. Within days Zündel paid the first installments. The appeal was granted.
Zündel had kept a trial diary to record these momentous events. During the first week of May and prior to his conviction, Zündel had mailed more than 20,000 brochures that bore the title "Es ist vollbracht" ("It is done!") to Germany. In it, he had summarized the substance of the Second Great Holocaust Trial. Copies were sent to all German Members of Parliament, Members of the Landtag, the German press, and the Federal German elite per se. This would keep Germany's elite from pleading ignorance of the historical truth and of Leuchter's findings. No one would be permitted to say at some later date they had been uninformed of sensational findings and facts unearthed in this second Zündel trial.
(The list of recipients of this brochure is still held in the Zündel archives. "There shall be no excuse," Zündel, has said "for Bonn's despicable behaviour and treason! The truth will out! The truth and the facts are now known to every member of the German vassal state!)
· September 18-22, 1989: The Ontario Appeals Court heard Zündel's case. The Judges were Brooke, Norden and Galligan. The atmosphere was charged with clearly visible disdain and dislike - quite the opposite of the first appeal proceedings where Justice Howland had still presided. The media vilification campaign had been effective. This time the judges were clearly opposed to Zündel. Zündel could anticipate the outcome of this second appeal trial in advance. That very week in France, Dr. Faurisson, Europe's most noted Revisionist, was nearly beaten to death by unknown assailants.
· February 5, 1990: The Ontario Appeals Court decided against Zündel, just as he had expected. Again the Jewish Lobby triumphed. The press once again dumped buckets of venom and hatred on Zündel. He was still not allowed to respond and defend himself against even the wildest untrue accusations by the media. Because of his gag order, he was fair game for any lies and slander. Travel remained restricted. He always had to file a detailed itinerary with the Attorney General, stating the names, addresses, dates and places he intended to visit in Canada and abroad during trips.
· Late February 1990: Zündel appealed to the highest court in Canada to hear his case. The court took its time and did not decide until November 15, 1990 to even hear the Zündel case. The stifling gag order remained in force the entire time.
During the fall and winter months of 1990-1991, Zündel helped to organize the "Leuchter Congress" in Munich with the help of German friends. The best-known Revisionists in the world would meet at this "Congress of Alternative Historians" in Munich - at least that was the plan.
· January 24, 1991: The Amtsgericht of Munich issued an arrest warrant against Zündel relating to an old charge of ". . . agitating the people", because a person or persons, unknown to him, had conveniently and anonymously mailed edited Zündel videotapes, "enriched" with European news programs and footage, to addresses in Germany. Unaware that this had happened, Zündel flew to Germany to participate in the preparations for the planned "Leuchter Congress" and to film interviews with some of the attendees. He did not know of the arrest warrant, and flew straight into the arms of disaster.
The Leuchter Congress - first permitted, then forbidden, then permitted again by authorities in Germany - was forbidden for good again in the end. The meeting hall owners canceled. DM 6,000 in rent for the German museum were gone. Legal bills were staggering. Harassment of this kind was becoming more frequent in Germany. These acts of censorship were permitted there by law. Repression ruled ever more brazenly.
· March 21, 1991: Zündel was arrested in Munich during an interview break with the well-known German book author Ingrid Weckert and thrown in jail. He was soon convicted in absentia - meaning, while he was still imprisoned in Munich! - for newsletters, videos, about revisionist publications about The Diary of Anne Frank and, on the whole, "...for disparagement of the memory of persons deceased", meaning for questioning the Holocaust. The fine was enormous - DM 30,600.oo!
· On March 29, 1991 Zündel was released and vowed to appeal. He returned to Canada, a convicted thought criminal for the first time, branded as an intellectual heretic in Germany - for having sought the truth. He swore not to let this injustice stand, and registered an appeal with the next-higher court.
(During the first proceedings the judge, Herr Balleshem, had allowed neither Zündel, who still sat in his prison cell in Stadelheim near Munich, nor his attorney to appear in court, nor had he heard their side of the case before making his ruling - which goes entirely against German legal tradition as well as against various UN human rights conventions etc., to which Germany is a signatory.)
· In early November 1991, the second Zündel trial in Germany began. These proceedings, too, turned out to be a joke. Not one of the witnesses who had been admitted by the court in Canada were permitted to testify in Germany. Noted experts such as Leuchter or Faurisson, expressly qualified by a Canadian court in his Toronto trials, were forbidden to testify - no expert witness, not a single exonerating document was admitted in Munich! The conduct of the court system in these proceedings, which were held one day a week for six weeks to stretch out expenses and increase inconvenience, simply defied all description. Zündel was forced to spend seven weeks in Europe.
(His attorney had to fly to Munich from Hamburg each week. Costs: $1,000 each flight - plus hotel bills, plus his legal fees etc.!)
· December 10, 1991: Back in Canada, Zündel participated personally in the deliberations of his case before the Supreme Court in Ottawa. The Canadian Supreme Court had acknowledged Zündel's written arguments, which were now presented again verbally by attorney Doug Christie. The attorneys of various Jewish organizations, including, of course, the B'nai Brith Lodge, brought their own petitions before the Court. They would spare no efforts to see Zündel finally convicted and deported once and for all to Germany - right into the prison cell already readied by the "judicial notice-takers" of Bonn.
The very next day, Zündel flew from Ottawa back to Germany to attend court in Munich. He was there for the last day of the proceedings and to "pick up" the verdict - a conviction from the higher court. Had he failed to be there, an arrest warrant would have been issued against him in Germany.
· December 22, 1991: Once again, Zündel was "automatically" convicted in Munich. The fine imposed at this second level was reduced to DM 14,600.oo by the judge, and the time he had spent in the Stadelheim jail already was "generously" taken into account as "price reduction."
(While sitting in jail, he had "earned", i.e.. did the time equivalent to, DM 1,995.oo. . . !)
· December 23, 1991: After this renewed conviction Zündel flew back to Canada - dog-tired, drained and bleary-eyed, fighting a vicious flu. His airfare alone - just this one flight - for this latest judicial harassment came to $2,500. The immigration official in Montreal greeted him cordially with "Merry Christmas, Mr. Zündel" and "welcome home". This friendly greeting soothed Zündel's feelings. Like most Canadians, this official had kept track of everything in the Canadian press, for Zündel's running of the judicial gauntlet continued to make headlines right across the country.
(To this day, grassroots sympathy for Zündel in Canada is strong. Many visitors to the Zündel-Haus have commented that they have heard expressions of outrage at this merciless government-sanctioned persecution by immensely rich and powerful Jewish Lobbies of this one German who will insist on his god-given right to speak the truth as he has found it and sees it!)
· The Christmas holidays of 1991 finally offered a small measure of peace and respite, and Zündel managed to recover physically and emotionally. Meanwhile, telephone terrorism was again taking on alarming proportions. The battle for Germany's honor was being ever more virulently opposed. Day and night the threats of murder, bombings and arson shrieked out of the telephone - hundreds of times a day. The police sat idly by and did not see fit to intervene - for months, stretching into years.
Meanwhile, the struggle on behalf of truth in history went on. By virtue of an unexpected testamentary bequest, Zündel suddenly saw a possibility for buying commercial radio or even television air time in the regular media in the United States. He quietly produced on-air commercials and new brochures in his publishing house, as well as a 567-page book about the Second Great Holocaust Trial in 1988, compiled by one of his attorneys, in readiness for the day when his gag order would no longer be an impediment, either through the start of his incarceration or his victory before the Supreme Court, when the gag order would cease to be in force. He intended to launch this book on the market immediately - in jail, or free!
In various parts of the world, other books were being written and published about Zündel's work and sacrifices. Friends composed hundreds of thousands of fliers and small brochures in many countries, from Brazil to Australia, discussing the Leuchter Report. Despite the Canadian gag order, Zündel's revisionist seeds began to bear fruit in even the most remote corners of the globe. The "Revised Holocaust" genie was out of the bottle!
In revisionist history, the Leuchter Report was a milestone. It rapidly expanded into a "Total Truth Campaign". The Zündel case and the Leuchter Report were now being discussed everywhere and served as the springboard for debates. The Leuchter Report was cited as evidence in German courts in cases against famous German Revisionist authors like Walendy, Honsik, Wahl, Deckert etc., and ultimately became the foundation for further investigations of Auschwitz by the well-qualified and courageous young German chemist, Germar Rudolf, and the distinguished Austrian engineer, Walter Lüftl. David Irving, the British historian, also pushed the Holocaust debate forward in worldwide speaking tours. He even published a special English edition of the Leuchter Report, with his own foreword and colour photos, which caused a sensation, and sent it to all the members of the House of Lords, as well as to all chemistry professors in England.
(This move marked the start of David Irving's own suffering. He was arrested in Canada, convicted, and expelled from the country. He was thrown out of Rome and banned from Australia and New Zealand. He was forbidden to enter South Africa. In Germany, he was convicted and thereby criminalized, with grave consequences for his career as an author and for his personal life. In David Irving's case in Munich as well, the judge admitted no documents or witnesses for the defense on questions of gas chambers and Auschwitz. What a disgrace for a civilized nation like Germany!)
· August 27, 1992: The miracle happened! In a 4-3 decision the Supreme Court of Canada decided in favor of Zündel - after nine years of litigation!
The sensation was complete! The Jewish lobby and its minions in the government, in the bureaucracy and in the press, television and radio ran amok! Briefly, Zündel's star shone brightly on the firmament of history.
He had dared, and he had won. Reporters and commentators for the television networks - everyone crowded round him. People stopped him in shops, airports, restaurants, even in the streets in distant cities in Canada, to shake his hand. Interviews and congratulations poured in from around the world. The Jewish press commentators and lobbyists became almost hysterical in their reactions. They huddled in "emergency meetings" and threatened new charges. Something ugly was now in the works!
Repeatedly, Zündel reached out to his political opponents, pleading: "Let us reason together!" His conciliatory offers of dialogue with these Jewish circles were turned down coldly and arrogantly. There was no interest in any communication with the tenacious champion of the German cause - not even now that the Supreme Court had spoken! Even neutral observers and the Toronto Police shook their heads. Reporters remarked about it with astonishment and sometimes disapproval.
· August 31, 1992: Only four days after the victory before the Supreme Court in Ottawa, the highest leaders of Canadian Jewry appeared before the police in Toronto, submitting a 66-page document and demanding Zündel's speedy arrest and indictment - this time under Canada's infamous hate law!
(Ernst Zündel commented: "This was the height of Jewish audacity - or chutzpah - to try to disregard and bypass the Canadian law only days after the Supreme Court verdict, which so clearly defined and guaranteed my constitutional rights for all to read! The Jewish thirst for vengeance evidently knows no bounds! Jewish influence over Canadian society has progressed to the point now where it seems as though the Supreme Court did not acquit me at all! It was 'business as usual!'" )
Again, as a result of this Jewish demand, Zündel was repeatedly interrogated by special police units at his home and business premises. The investigations of the police - "hate propaganda special units" composed of four separate forces - dragged on and on. Zündel was on pins and needles, always in danger of being raided and arrested again.
However, duty called. There was no choice. He continued to work quietly, busily and in a disciplined manner on the preparations for his next great publicity counter-offensive to educate the public.
New, less expensive material with mass appeal was also being created. A new, corrected edition of the booklet "Did Six Million Really Die?" was reprinted in English by Samisdat Publishers, Zündel's publishing company. This was the 30,000-word publication that had cost Zündel ten years of his life, his reputation, his highly successful graphic arts studio, hundreds of thousands of dollars in legal fees and related expenses, and had made his life a living hell.
Thick books, published in Argentina and Europe, describing and documenting the Second Great Holocaust Trial, were also in the final stages. Address labels had been typed; wrapping and shipping materials and postage for sending this informative material to all parts of the world sat at the ready. Everything practically "stood at attention for the publicity strike" in the Zündel-Haus - waiting for Day X.
· March 5, 1993: The Ontario Provincial Police announced unexpectedly that after lengthy investigations by their experts in collaboration with other police forces on "hate and racial matters", Zündel could not and would not be charged with incitement or race hatred! There simply were no grounds!
Detectives brought the good news verbally to Zündel. No one wanted to give him anything in black-on-white. The Jewish Torquemadas, however, received the police's reasoning and decision in writing! A friendly reporter gave a copy of the letter to the Jewish leadership to Zündel. Shades of the Postal Ban!
The spell was broken - for a while!
Unfortunately not for long! A new, artificially induced wave of outrage broke forth from the Jewish side. While the leaders of the Jewish organizations were still gathering in "emergency meetings" at local synagogues, Zündel helpers were working overtime. Book shipments left the Zündel-Haus continuously by the truckload, to be mailed to the farthest corners of the earth. Parcels were stacked in rows right to the ceiling. Zündel's team hauled load upon load through nasty March snowstorms to the post office. Television crews drove alongside and recorded the spectacle for the evening news.
This Zündel information outreach rolled on inexorably for weeks and months on end - while the opposition were gnashing their teeth. The passing of two elderly Zündel supporters had resulted in unexpected extra funds in the form of testamentary bequests. Zündel used the funds to buy more air time with American radio and TV stations and kept on broadcasting state-of-the-art Revisionism across America and Canada. He also paid for television time on U.S. satellites. His programs were now on the air from Mexico to the North Pole and the Caribbean, broadcast all across Canada, the United States and right across the ocean to Hawaii. Salaries, printing and postage expenses keep emptying the coffers, but it was vital now to break new ground for truth - now that the gag order had finally been removed!
The Holocaust Lobby found itself on the defensive and were changing their tactics accordingly. On all sides they exerted economic pressure and indirect emotional and sometimes financial terrorism on the broadcasters, stations and satellite firms that ran Zündel's programs. They met with limited success. In many cases, intimidation worked. Some broadcasters canceled Zündel's contracts. Some satellite owners drew back. One radio station burned down after it announced it would bring Zündel broadcasts. Time and again Zündel sought and found new offers. His information broadcasts and videos seemed to be everywhere all at once - from Los Angeles, Detroit, Houston and Chicago right up to Anchorage. All the hard, dedicated work behind the scenes by his volunteers and staff, in between the trials, was now paying off. The Zündel Truth Campaign was on a roll, and nothing seemed to stop it!
· Fall - Winter 1993: After a 30-year wait, Zündel re-applied for Canadian citizenship for the second time. Even though he had been convicted and branded a criminal in his homeland for ". . . disparagement of the memory of persons deceased", he had no criminal record in Canada. He had lived there, law-abidingly and peacefully, for almost 40 years. So far he had ultimately won every trial - and there had never been the slightest hint of violence on his part against his tormentors and persecutors. The granting of his request for citizenship should have been a matter of routine.
Behind the scenes, however, ministers and secret service officials as well as well-situated, powerful bureaucrats met in secrecy with Jewish operatives to try to deny Zündel his citizenship. The Holocaust Lobby had their fingers in this pie as well! The reason was clear: Should they succeed in criminalizing him in Canada eventually, by hook or by crook, he could then be deported as a German citizen. As a Canadian citizen, he could not.
Meanwhile, Zündel had recovered his right to a German passport from the German Federal Administrative Court, and now he could travel again. He flew to Spain, England, France, Belgium, Holland, Denmark and Poland. In Auschwitz he made a sensational video with the young Jewish Revisionist David Cole, a highly intelligent budding film maker. This video disgraced the Holocaust Lobby where it hurt them the most - because in it, this young Jew, yarmulke and all, showed and explained to Zündel, the German, and the world, via film, all the things about Auschwitz that had been faked, reconstructed and fabricated by the Polish Communists in order to deceive the gullible!
· January - February 1994: The television program "60 Minutes" (CBS) - a documentary-type show with the largest number of viewers in the United States and probably in the entire world - became aware of Zündel's world-wide Revisionist offensive in America and elsewhere. The Paris office called him and invited him to participate in one of their popular, high media-rating broadcasts.
Zündel braved a fierce late-February snowstorm to drive the 16 hours to New York - his car loaded down with transcripts, documents, Auschwitz models of gas chambers, etc. - for the interview with "60 Minutes" and the famous investigative reporter, Mike Wallace. Months of phone calls, discussions and promises by "60 Minutes" staffers had preceded this trip. Wallace and "60 Minutes" brass had promised an unbiased, fair and thorough show. Zündel had his intellectual ammunition at the ready to expose the Holocaust hoax once and for all.
He gave Wallace a detailed and thorough accounting in response to Wallace's detailed questions about the whole "Holocaust Complex". Wallace was visibly stunned by Zündel's revelations. The interview took almost 100 minutes. Sadly but also predictably, only three minutes and 45 seconds were ultimately broadcast by CBS - grotesquely distorted! Wallace could not leap over his own shadow. He was, as he told Zündel during the visit, ". . . after all, a Jew!"
(To be on the safe side, Zündel tape-recorded most of the interview with Wallace, except for portions in Wallace's swanky office at CBS. In this way, a rare piece of evidentiary record has been created which will some day, when times will have changed, reveal a great deal about the Jewish manipulation of the Holocaust "facts" and their use and control over the media in America.)
· Summer 1994: By now, Zündel could be heard at his "Voice of Freedom" program on worldwide short-wave radio, and throughout America on short-wave and the AM band. Six Canadian provinces and 18 American states were receiving Zündel's programs via AM radio on the powerful KXEL, a "clear channel" station. For months, the Holocaust Lobby resorted to special "intervention commandos" which showed up as delegations everywhere Zündel broadcast from, to exert pressure on stations broadcasting Zündel-programs - sometimes to success, often in vain! Undeterred, the Zündel media avalanche rolled on!
· August 1994: Unexpected special donations enabled a team of five, Zündel staffers and Zündel himself, to fly to Russia to make video interviews there on location with political leaders, members of Parliament and publishers, and influential Russian authors. One of them was Vladimir Zhirinovzky, the well-known and outspoken Russian nationalist. The results were several important historical radio and television programs in German and English, which again were broadcast around the world.
· Fall 1994: The Institute for Historical Review - a world-renowned historical research institute and an intellectual think tank for Revisionists - invited Zündel to attend their annual conference as one of their main speakers. Internationally known Revisionists from all parts of the world, such as Dr. Robert Faurisson, David Irving, David Cole and Jürgen Graf, arrived for this conference. Zündel was the honored banquet speaker and gave a moving lecture which summarized the decades-long, often arduous path of Revisionism, the changed situation in Europe and the world, and the impressions he had gained on his trip to Russia. None who attended the conference will ever forget that speech! It was a Revisionist State-of-the-Union!
(Few have grasped the scope and significance of this intellectual struggle at the close of the 20th century as thoroughly as Zündel, the simple peasants' son from the heart of the Black Forest - a man who now, in the prime of his life, exposed the brainwashing he received in his childhood and youth and informed the global intellectual elite at this gathering of Revisionists that enormous Revisionist breakthroughs and victories were taking place worldwide.)
At this conference, he met Dr. Ingrid Rimland, an award-winning ethnic writer born to German parents in the Ukraine who had made a name for herself with a novel, "The Wanderers", that depicted the German soldiers of World War II as they rolled into Russia in "Barbarossa" - as liberators, not destroyers. It was to be the beginning of an association of karmic dimensions.
· Winter 1994 - 1995: With the help of American friends, Zündel took the first steps into cyberspace. This again unleashed a worldwide avalanche of protest. The first Internet Provider for the "Voice of Freedom" content was put under massive pressure and canceled the account after only a few months. Eventually, in the summer of 1995, Ingrid Rimland found another Provider, Web Communications in Santa Cruz, California, one of America's and perhaps the world's largest Internet providers with 1,300 customers. Still unskilled in website construction, she nonetheless made a few, at first amateurish, attempts at selecting, coding and posting documents, calling her website the "Zundelsite". A friend helped her with the design of the "Z", the long-time Zündel logo.
Once again the Canadian government was mobilized by the Holocaust Lobby. Zündel's television programs were still running in many dozens of American cities on Public Access, at film festivals and regular cinemas and on national TV in many countries. The Jewish press agitated and was beside itself with rage! The Simon Wiesenthal Centre contacted the Canadian Security Intelligence Review Committee, the Minister of Justice, and other government agencies. Now politicians and censors were supposed to help - where the courts and cops had failed!
· March 29, 1995: The umbrella organization of Jews in Canada, the Canadian Jewish Congress, demanded formally that the Ontario Minister of Justice bring new charges against Zündel, this time for his statements in the controversial film "Profession: Neo-Nazi". This attempt likewise failed. The Minster of Justice, himself a Jew, took no steps. The film was shown several times across Canada and the States and Europe-wide, as well as in Japan.
· Spring 1995: The opposition now turned to the mob. For months the Zündel-House was the target of malicious, violent mass demonstrations, often 2,000 to 3,000 strong, mostly made up of colored, Tamil, Jewish and Black militants. Particularly noticeable by their signs were B'nai Brith and the militant Jewish Defence League. Many Marxists and Communists participated also. Posters repeatedly showed up by the thousands throughout Toronto in that period, urging violence against Zündel. These posters contained explicit instructions as to how to make molotov cocktails to burn the Zündel-Haus down. There were also posters bearing death threats, showing Zündel in the cross-hairs of a rifle, giving his full address, photo, a map to the Zündel-Haus etc.
Zündel attempted to file a complaint with the Toronto Police against this incitement to violence. He was treated with icy contempt. The police, thoroughly intimidated and striving to be politically correct, shrugged the matter off and refused to take any steps.
Security measures in and around the Zündel-House were stepped up one more time as a precaution. One Sunday afternoon a deranged person tried to break into the building by attempting to smash a safety glass window. Zündel was sick in bed with the flu. So hoarse he could barely talk, he nonetheless called the police, who took their time arriving - appearing long after the would-be intruder was gone, merely surveying the damage to the property, grinning sheepishly.
· April 4, 1995: An "Anti-Fascist Militia" organization sent Zündel an anonymous threat with a razor blade, claimed later to have been laced with AIDS-tainted blood, and a mouse trap, culminating in a bomb threat. Even though this death threat had come in the mail, the police didn't lift a finger.
(It came to light later that a dozen people had also received similar mail containing mousetraps and razor blades. A wave of inexplicable terrorism was sweeping throughout Canada.)
· May 7, 1995: Shortly before 5 o'clock in the morning, an unknown arsonist threw a napalm-like fluid against the Zündel-House and lit a match. The building was soon engulfed in flames. Although the arsonist was captured on film by Zündel's surveillance cameras, the criminal managed to escape unidentified. There were eye witnesses who saw the arsonist's face, but still the police never "found" the criminal and was unwilling to follow up leads.
Had Zündel been home, he would have been killed - suffocated by the smoke or incinerated by the flames. Fortunately, he was on a speaking tour when this happened - 5,000 kilometers away, meeting with his attorney in Victoria, British Columbia. He saw the fire on the TV news.
Zündel flew back to Toronto to his almost-gutted, still soggy and sooty building. The building and its contents had sustained massive damage. The fire marshall estimated the loss at $400,000. The top floors and the roof had to be torn down. His rare, 5,000-volume library was largely destroyed, as were many documents and unpublished manuscripts and his most important business papers, files and records. The press appeared a little contrite, but many commentators nevertheless gloated openly that someone finally had tried to put an end to that "cursed Nazi on Carlton Street" and his activities of Holocaust debunking. Some Jewish demonstrators danced the hora in the streets, in front of Zündel's still smoldering ruins in full view of the press.
· May 12, 1995: Against the backdrop of his burned-out house, Zündel gave a press conference and publicly assigned the blame. He settled the score with his opponents in the presence of Jewish reporters, the government, the press, and the police who could never be bothered to step in when the assassination, arson threats and molotov cocktail placards were posted. Zündel vowed publicly: "No one will intimidate me or make me change my honestly-held views by means of fire, bombs, beatings, threats and court trials! Nobody is going to drive me out of Canada or Toronto in this way! I have rights - even though I am only a German! I will rebuild! This isn't the end - it's a beginning!"
Over and over, he vowed to stand and fight. History will record that Zündel kept his promise.
From the shell of his building, Zündel issued a world-wide appeal for donations and asked his friends for help in rebuilding the horribly gutted Zündel-Haus. Soon Germans, Frenchmen, Englishmen, Canadians and Americans as far away as California and from all walks of life flocked to Toronto to help, donating time, money or skills, raising funds, making sacrifices, donating whatever they could. Under Dr. Faurisson's incentive and his sister's leadership, French supporters soon raised enough money for a new, large high-speed photocopier - the old one had melted to a blob. The meter had stopped at six million copies plus! Others sent books to help replace some of those burned. Commitment, generosity, and assistance were remarkable - in fact, they were inspiring.
· During the week of May 20, 1995, Zündel -still struggling through the ashes of his black, sooted, gutted building - received a well-taped-up "book parcel" in the mail. He thought it was remarkably heavy for its size. The house still reeked of fire and smoke and the wrecked roof was leaking through countless huge gaps, temporarily covered by inadequate tarpaulins, since it was raining outside, and a great deal of work still needed to be done. Therefore Zündel put the mysterious parcel aside and warned his employees and comrades not to open it; he would take care of it himself - as soon as he had time. He sensed that something was wrong with that parcel, but felt that he couldn't be bothered to investigate at the moment.
The next Saturday, a holiday weekend with everything quiet at the Zündel-Haus, he took this parcel, shook it gingerly, photographed everything - the sender's return address, the stamps, etc. - and then prepared to open it outside. By a lucky coincidence - or perhaps by God's intervention or a kindly fate that wished to preserve him one more time - a friend called, telling a weekend staffer, when asked if he had ever heard of this return address, that it was fake, that he had used that address for his political group two years earlier. Zündel had been to visit this man only two weeks before, and this man had made no mention of a "book parcel" which he intended to send to Toronto!
Now Zündel knew that, in all likelihood, the parcel contained a bomb. So as not to alarm his neighbors who were already upset enough about the fire, he placed the parcel in his car's trunk on a bag of bird seed to make sure that it would have a smooth ride, and drove it personally to the police station. The police bomb squad x-rayed the parcel and indeed discovered a powerful bomb, containing over a hundred three-inch construction nails, that would have killed everyone in a 90-yard radius, had it exploded!
Later in the day, a special unit of the police detonated the bomb harmlessly by remote control in a quarry near Toronto. Television crews were present to film the event. Zündel watched it on the evening news. To this day, this crime has likewise not yet been solved by the Toronto Police.
(Three other people received similar parcels bombs, one of which was sent to the McKenzie Institute.)
· Summer - Fall 1995: All hands were busy repairing and rebuilding the Zündel-Haus. Some larger donations, especially a sizable contribution from an elderly comrade from the Black Forest, allowed for rapid rebuilding. Donors from around the world also sent extra funds. The much-damaged radio studio received a complete overhaul. New equipment and computers replaced the ones lost in the fire.
Soon the familiar hustle and bustle again pervaded the Zündel-Haus. A new, strong roof finally stopped the floods of rainwater, which for months had been pouring through the huge holes in the roof and had done almost more damage to files and papers, not to mention to morale, than the fire itself.
· August 5, 1995: Then came the most disgusting and dangerous, and perhaps also the most desperate, development: the Minister of Citizenship and Immigration informed Zündel per courier that the Canadian secret service had classified him, who had been victimized just months before by never-apprehended assailants, a "security risk" to Canada!
(This was an unheard-of-move that still seems to make the opposition jittery, as subsequent developments have revealed. Somehow, the rumors will not die that rogue elements within or under the protection of the spooks in government had a hand in the terror and assassination attempts against Zündel.)
The Minister of Citizenship and Immigration immediately accepted this assessment by the secret service and conveniently halted the processing of Zündel's "flawless" citizenship application - as one official had called it while speaking to a reporter. The routine application had already taken an incredible two years to process and had not yet been approved. It was getting complicated for the layman who tried to walk through this political mire and understand it all - but Zündel understood. It meant that the political claws were being unsheathed. It meant that he would be declared fair game on simple say-so by anonymous bureaucrats, relying on secret witnesses. If this latest move met with success, he could be more easily deported to Germany - and into prison! - since, after all, he was already marked a "criminal" in Germany where he was already convicted in Munich for thought crimes!
Zündel appeared before the secret service's surveillance committee, called "Security Intelligence Review Committee" or "SIRC", an agency that was supposed to hear the evidence as a sort of "middle-man", watchdog or brake on the civilian spy agency, called Canadian Security Intelligence service, abbreviated "CSIS". On the basis of SIRC's track record and publications and through press reports and television programs, Zündel soon realized that this entire committee, consisting of retired politicians, not surprisingly, was hostile towards him. Even less surprisingly, the Director of Research for SIRC turned out to be a Jew.
Zündel documented his case against SIRC in every detail. His lawyer, Christie, took the voluminous documentation to the Federal Court of Canada to try to avert the threat of Zündel's expulsion or deportation after a series of sham-biased hearings - bureaucratically, and through the back door, so to speak - by circumventing the customary channels and judicial routes that did not seem to work for the Holocaust Lobby.
Once more, the Zündel team dug in, at the ready for defense on all sides. Zündel's lawyers spent these months from 1995 to 1996 fighting on many fronts. The fees for research, travel, preparation etc. were mounting. By then, five attorneys were working for Zündel full-time - one in Europe; three in Canada; and one in the United States. Trans-continental plane trips, hotel bills, telephone and fax bills doubled and tripled. Legal research in law libraries took time. Zündel temporarily rented accommodations in Ottawa to avoid paying the expensive hotel costs there. A legal nightmare now descended upon Zündel, who still struggled through the soot and ashes of the gutted Zündel-Haus.
Under the "Freedom of Information Act", Zündel had obtained some important data. This Act is a Canadian law providing that information collected by Canada's bureaucracy must be made accessible, upon request, to a resident of Canada. The bureaucrats stonewalled and heavily censored the material collected about Zündel and refused to release much of the information outright, but in the end, they were forced to release at least some by order of the Privacy Commissioner.
(This material, incriminating to the government, the Holocaust Lobby and others will be useful in years to come.)
· November 7, 1995: For good measure, Sabina Citron, Zündel's old adversary, once again brought charges in a horribly misspelled and tortuously argued document against him - this time for alleged "anti-Jewish propaganda" against specific people like Simon Wiesenthal, Beate Klarsfeld etc.
· December 19, 1995: In response to these new charges, once again Zündel appeared in a Toronto court. Again the angry hordes of spitting, threatening, screaming Jews were present. Again he had to run the gauntlet while cops stood by and watched. Again there was a great deal of press. And again Zündel found himself preparing for a new trial - just like before, in every detail, now older and much wiser to his opponents' wiles. He told his enemies it would cost them dearly in negative publicity.
· Christmas 1995: Zündel reported to his friends worldwide that the first phase of reconstruction of the Zündel-Haus was complete. The second phase was put on hold in order to better concentrate on the various trials and tribunals ahead. By that time, 60 Zündel TV programs ran every week in American cities, including New York, Los Angeles and even Hollywood! New radio and video production equipment, microphones, recorders, cameras allowed for better, more professional-quality "Voice of Freedom" shows than before. The satellite programs also aired weekly. Four radio programs a week were still being broadcast in English on the AM band in 18 American states and six Canadian provinces. These were consistently defensive programs directed against the continuing anti-German hate propaganda, Holocaust, Schindler's List, the book by Daniel Goldhagen, "Hitler's Willing Executioners." etc.
· Early January 1996: Zündel had to give an accounting to the Security Intelligence Review Committee. A Toronto attorney of Polish extraction temporarily represented him because Christie was fighting for him on other battle fronts. This attorney tried to gain time for Zündel to prepare for his defense. In the meantime, the Revisionist website on the Internet, known as the "Zundelsite", was becoming more sophisticated through the work of Dr. Ingrid Rimland, its originator, designer, owner and webmaster.
Much of what happened next was experienced by Zündel as a side-show, so to speak, of which he was barely aware, since he was so preoccupied with fighting off his foes. For months, there had been much heckling on the Internet that Zündel was a "coward" who refused to engage in Internet newsgroups debates. Internet terrorists were roaming the net, trying to discredit his name and ridicule and demonize him on the Net. After much wrangling and correspondence back and forth, primarily between Ingrid Rimland and one Jamie McCarthy, webmaster of a traditional Holocaust website called "Nizkor" - hostile to Revisionism and operated and financed mostly by tax deductible donations from Jewish donors - McCarthy pressed for a worldwide electronic debate (later he backpedaled and called it a "rebuttal") about the Holocaust.
Both parties agreed that both sides would make an honest effort and coordinate this electronic confrontation in order to clear up misunderstandings about the Holocaust and to focus on historical truth - whatever the facts in the case! Ernst Zündel was to be the "voice" to speak for the Revisionist side. As the date for the debate drew near, Ingrid Rimland spent many days uploading documentation such as the huge, encyclopedic "Did Six Million Really Die?" Kulaszka transcript on the Net, along with the Leuchter Report.
In two faxed letters of January 5 and 8, 1996, Zündel informed the Simon Wiesenthal Centre in Los Angeles that this electronic debate would take place and invited them to be a part. Within 48 hours the Simon Wiesenthal Centre wrote to 2,000 University Presidents and Internet Service Providers, calling for "self-censorship" by ISPs and warning against giving space to "racists" and "Revisionists".
· January 10, 1996: The Simon Wiesenthal Center's attempts at censorship jolted the American media. In the first weeks of January, all hell broke loose on the Internet and in cyberspace. Reporters, television crews, radio shows and computer magazines focused on the Zundelsite. Even the New York Times ran an article on January 10. Within a few days, the news of the impending electronic debate whipped up such waves of frenzy and panic that Deutsche Telekom, the recently privatized German communications outfit, actually tried to block reception of all 1,300 American websites of the Zundelsite Internet provider, Web Communications, just to prevent access to the Zundelsite by Germans!
This was an unprecedented step in government/internet censorship! It caused a global outrage. The numbers of visitors to the Zundelsite grew astronomically. The owner of Web Communications said at one point that, of 1,300 websites, 25 accounted for fully half of all Internet traffic, and of these 25 the Zündelsite was one of the busiest. Electronic Internet traffic to the Zundelsite became so snarled that it took up to five hours, and eventually became impossible, to reach the Zundelsite.
Web Communications installed a "governor", a sort of electronic emergency brake, on the Zundelsite in order to restrict the number of visitors to one-third. Yet despite this emergency brake, approximately 7,000 Revisionist documents were downloaded worldwide within a 24-hour-period - for an entire month! Day-in, day-out! Revisionist material was thus made accessible to persons thirsting for knowledge in even the remotest corners of the world, where perhaps no-one had even heard of Revisionism yet!
There had never been anything like it - an electronic World War was raging in cyberspace, with freedom-of-speech fighters on one side and the dark forces of the Holocaust censors on the other! Media folks scrambled and screamed for interviews. Within days, the Zundelsite became the fulcrum for a global anti-censorship movement.
Students at various American universities - and also in other countries all the way to Australia - for the first time decorated their Web pages with the blue ribbon of freedom, defying the censorship of the Holocaust Lobby! More than a dozen individuals - total strangers all over the planet, mostly students - rushed in to save the Zundelsite from the rabid rabbis of the Simon Wiesenthal Center! Computer buffs who understood the technical side of this "War of the Blue Ribbons" started to copy the Revisionist content of the Zundelsite and mirrored it on their own computers or that of their universities!
Like a miracle, the Zundelsite doubled, tripled, quadrupled! A website was cloning itself! On air!
Within days, mirror sites spontaneously sprang up to undermine the German government's attempt at censorship. All this was taking place in California, where the Zundelsite was located in a small tourist town by the Pacific Ocean and was observed, uploaded and managed from San Diego. Ingrid Rimland would later comment that it felt as though she was sitting at the controls of an electronic jumbo jet - with no idea what kept it in the air!
· February 9, 1996: Back in Toronto, Zündel had to appear before the court again because of Sabina Citron's charges for ". . . defamation of the Jews". This time the leaders of Canadian Jewry supplied the Crown Prosecutor with 200 pages of documents and video films which were intended to ensure Zündel's conviction in a new trial. The Crown dutifully accepted these documents and gave them to "hate and race experts" at Police Headquarters. The Crown Prosecutor insisted he needed more time to allow these documents to also be studied by experts from the Ministry of Justice as well. This required a postponement of the court date.
Meanwhile, the war in cyberspace raged on! In a grotesque development, a crafty Jewish activist, posing as a cyberspace freedom fighter right out of Stanford University, attempted to steal the Zundelsite by first hypocritically offering to mirror it and then scaring off other Internet freedom-fighters, who also wanted to help, by claiming "copyright" of the Zundelsite contents. Ingrid Rimland consulted a copyright attorney, an expert in intellectual properties law, and the would-be Zundelsite thief got cold feet and slunk off.
In the third week of February the German government threw up its hands in frustration, and the world press declared: "Zündel victorious in Internet battle!"
· February 19, 1996: Ernst Zündel's mother died at age 91. He could not rush to her death-bed in Germany, nor fly to Germany for her funeral. Arrest awaited him in Germany because he had questioned the Holocaust. He was in despair at his own helplessness and furious about the shameless behavior of the Holocaust lackeys in Bonn. In all this turmoil, and in a haze of pain and fatigue, he made a disastrous personal decision: On March 14, he abruptly married an American woman he had only known for a short period. Disaster was in the making.
· March 15, 1996: In Canada the state dropped Sabina Citron's new charges - for lack of evidence! Even the experts at the Ministry of Justice in Ontario, headed at the time by a Jew, admitted this lack of evidence in a written report to the Court. There simply were no grounds on which to charge Zündel with "spreading hate"! The formal admission was: No conviction would be possible!
(From documents obtained through the "Freedom of Information Act", Zündel knows today that, even years ago, Canada's highest echelons already considered refusing Zündel re-entry to Canada on his return from a trip abroad. This plan was dusted off and reconsidered in the spring of 1996. Even while the intelligence hearings were still going on about Zündel being a "security risk to Canada" and the "War of the Blue Ribbons" was still in full swing, his arrest and deportation seem to have been only days away!)
Zündel gave a much-attended and documented press conference on the steps of the Toronto court house. He told the media that things could not go on like this - enough was enough!
Dr. Karen Mock of B'nai Brith, her voice appearing strangled with fury, shrieked that she wanted him re-charged! Sabina Citron and her Holocaust Lobby entourage demonstrated outside the Ministry of Justice's office and threatened during a press conference of her own that she was considering charging Zündel privately in civil court. There must be a way to silence the villain Ernst Zündel! She was going to find one.
(Only a few months later Citron put her threat into action. The civil charge, this time, was for "slander" and "damages" to the tune of $3.5 million! For his part, Zündel charged his Jewish persecutor for $8 million for her malicious prosecution and for vilifying him. His attorneys had already developed a basic framework for this idea months ago, but Zündel, not by nature a litigious person, had always resisted this move. This extraordinary step taken by him was to be a counter-move, not a grandiose new offensive.)
· March 19, 1996: Zündel appealed to the Federal Court in Ottawa to halt the SIRC committee's investigations - due to their obvious bias. Two days later, on March 21, a Federal Court judge heard the motion on the Zündel-SIRC-affair until late in the evening and decided that the Zündel Intelligence hearings would nevertheless have to proceed and were to begin on March 25, 1996, but granted Zündel's attorneys an expedited hearing.
· March 25, 1996: Zündel's team appeared before the secret service surveillance committee as ordered by this judge. The first Government witness against Zündel was, to no one's great surprise, Bernie Farber, the press spokesperson for the Jews' umbrella organization in Canada, the Canadian Jewish Congress. For years, Farber had been one of Zündel's most bitter opponents. What awaited Farber now, much to his chagrin, was a rapier-like cross-examination by Zündel's lawyer. It soon wiped the arrogant smile off Farber's face! He wriggled like a drowning eel. In the end, the judge threw him a lifebelt and postponed the Zündel hearings to May 6, 1996. On the request of the committee, another postponement, until after the Federal Court hearings, followed.
· June 10, 1996: The Federal Court, under Judge Heald, an old Anglo-Saxon, met in the Zündel-SIRC-bias hearings in Ottawa. Zündel's attorneys were in peak form. The government's attorneys and the attorneys of the opposing side seemed depressed and visibly on the defensive that day. The Federal Court case, scheduled to last only a day, dragged on until Wednesday, the 12th. Judge Heald had many questions.
And then something odd happened which is still unexplained to this day to casual bystanders: for inexplicable reasons the Security Intelligence Review Committee hearings were suddenly broken off - "indefinitely"!
· July 4, 1996: Jacques Courtois, the judge in the Zündel-SIRC-hearings, died of cancer. Meanwhile, the Garaudy Affair was making worldwide waves from France! A famous leftist French author and ex-Communist has suddenly professed in a book, based chiefly on Barbara Kulaszka's massive study of the 1988 Holocaust trial and Dr. Faurisson's Zündel trial material, to be a Revisionist - attacking Israeli treatment of the Palestinians! A global uproar ensued! Many countries started pricking up their ears. A famous French priest, Abbé Pierre, next came out in favour of Garaudy, which caused yet another sensation.
· August 1, 1996: Judge Heald of the Federal Court decided in Zündel's favor - the danger of imminent deportation for Zündel from Canada was over for the moment! Soon after, the publication "Did Six Million Really Die?" appeared for the first time in the Russian language, both in Russia and on the Internet.
· Fall 1996: After having unsuccessfully exhausted all legal recourse in criminal court, Sabina Citron came up with yet another persecution wrinkle. She brought a complaint against Zündel before the Canadian Human Rights Commission. Not to be far behind, the Toronto Mayor's Committee on Community and Race Relations likewise brought a complaint against Zündel before the same Human Rights organization, on the urging of the vengeful Marvin Kurz, B'nai Brith lawyer, who egged the committee on. (A year later the same Marvin Kurz pleaded his case before the Tribunal, requesting a role as an intervenor in the case he was instrumental in bringing about!)
· October 1996: For the first time ever, Zündel broadcast into Germany - from Europe via Radio Moscow, based in Königsberg, now called Kaliningrad. It was an ironic twist of fate that Zündel's German-language "Stimme der Freiheit" programs were also broadcast into Russia by this same station from this ancient German city.
· 25. October '96: The terrorist Anti-Racist-Action, a B'nai Brith ally, financed by a Toronto taxpayers' grant, demonstrated all day in front of the Zündel-Haus, faces masked, carrying signs and shouting slogans: "Burn Zündel down!" "Lock the Nazis in!" "Burn the house down!" - in full view of dozens of plain-clothes and uniformed police.
In faraway Australia, a television channel broadcast a Canadian-produced TV documentary about Zündel's revisionist outreach program, leading Dr. Frederick Toben of the Adelaide Institute to remark: "I stand in awe of Ernst and his enterprise!" German television, too, brought a lengthy documentary about "Nazis on the Internet", which featured Zündel's world-wide Revisionist outreach program. In this documentary, the chief of the repressive "Constitutional Police" was shown lamenting: "The Nazis and Revisionists are technically so well versed and equipped that we (the police) are always several paces behind!"
In the United States, a major media happening, "24 Hours in Cyberspace" that had played earlier in the year, came out with a follow-up, a massive coffee table book, which included a CD. This beautifully printed product hit the market with lots of fanfare. The Zundelsite and Zündel were prominently covered, with beautiful photographs.
· 15. November 1996: Zündel reported in his newsletter that he was trying to arrange an interview for his TV and radio broadcasts with Nizkor's front man, Ken McVay.
· 22.-23. November 1996: Max Yalden, Chairman of the Human Rights Commission, stated in a newspaper that he would call a Human Rights Tribunal "to shut Zündel down." He was quoted by the Hamilton Spectator as having said: "I'm as much interested in protecting freedom of speech as the next guy, and I believe in a free and open debate in a democratic society like Canada . . . " but ". . . I don't think Zündel is engaged in a free and open debate. I think he's engaged in inciting people against Jews, and it's on that basis that we are proceeding."
Such an obviously biased attitude had been preceded by the Canadian Human Rights Commission's Policy and Planning Director, Harvey Goldberg's, pronouncement and finding that Zündel was engaged in "Holocaust Denial," Goldberg said,". . . is simply anti-semitism" to Goldberg's ethnically biased brain.
· 10. December 1996: Zündel was informed by the Canadian Human Rights Commission that a Human Rights Tribunal had been impaneled against him, just as Max Yalden had predicted, in order to put a stop to his presence on the Internet - by claiming that it, the Commission, had jurisdiction over Internet content because the Internet was "like a telephone". They hoped to make that charge stick because an obscure ruling in a court case involving tape-recorded info-telephone "hate messages" had given them the right to censor a Canadian who used the USA for racial messages.
(How "neutral" and "fair" these proceedings would turn out to be could be deduced from the above stated pronouncements. Justice, Canadian Style, for "hate monger" Zündel was once again on the way. Clearly, minds had been made up before any hearings had even been held.)
· December 14, 1996: The B'nai Brith Lodge attempted to obtain official status at the hearings before the Human Rights Tribunal. (Details would reach Zündel only on January 15, 1997). Zündel's attorneys were working feverishly on deflecting this incredible notion via a Federal Court order. All resources available to Zündel were deployed to research the legal state of affairs, largely through the Internet. Additionally, the first judicial review application was made by Zündel's attorneys. That day, Dr. Ingrid Rimland, busy at the Zundelsite helm in her office in California, noticed that the Internet system suddenly no longer seemed to work. As if by evil magic, everything became paralyzed. She could not access any electronic documents, not even on her own site from her computer. She suspected sabotage. She tried to call and had difficulty getting through to the Zündel-Haus.
The next day the media reported that Web Communications, the Zundelsite's ISP, one of the largest American Internet Providers, had become the victim of a massive electronic Blitzkrieg attack. Web Communications was being bombarded electronically with 200 letters per second - for 40 hours straight! Almost 29 million electronic letters were fired from unknown origin into the Internet server system. These letters contained only three words: "Denial of Service."
The computer system could not hold up for long under this wild stream of data input and collapsed entirely. This vicious electronic sabotage attack paralyzed the Internet traffic of Web Communications during the busiest week before Christmas and cost the other websites that had accounts with this provider hundreds of thousands of dollars in lost revenue. It turned out that the attack originated in the town of Nanaimo, British Columbia, which just "happened" to be the location of Nizkor - the website with whom the Zundelsite had planned the Holocaust debate almost a year earlier! Coincidence?
(Even though Nizkor gave a Nanaimo address on its web page, Zündel found out that there is no physical "Nizkor office" in Nanaimo! During a trip to Western Canada, he went to Nizkor "Headquarters" - at one time trumpeted as keeping 150 volunteers busy - and found only a commercial mail drop in a strip mall. Calls to Nizkor's telephone number were eventually answered by a Victoria, B.C. rabbi. "Is it any wonder that Nizkor defends Holocaust orthodoxy?" he later commented to a friend.)
Dr. Rimland, owner and webmaster of the Zundelsite, reported the incident of the Internet terrorism and details about Nizkor to the Royal Canadian Mounted Police for economic sabotage. As yet the police have solved nothing, and no perpetrators have been discovered! Web Communications never admitted that the Zundelsite was the actual target of this attempt at electronic intimidation, although the Jewish president of the company conceded in an e-mail that he ". . . wouldn't rule it out".
· 16 - 20. December 1996: Zündel attorneys continued to work feverishly on the Human Rights Tribunal threat and filed their first of five judicial review applications. These review applications were meant to cause a real court to investigate and judge what the quasi court called "Human Rights Tribunal" was doing to Zündel - whether they were even entitled, according to the legislation, to conduct their hearings and whether they had jurisdiction over an American website. Zündel's efforts to get the case looked at by regular courts were fiercely opposed by Commission lawyers and Jewish intervenors, who were aided in their delaying tactics by a politicized court system. Zündel knew that if he failed to halt the outrageous and scandalous "Human Rights Tribunal" hearings, it would mean his political enemies could potentially paralyze his intellectual presence on the Internet and criminalize him by the back door. This was the status of the Zündel struggle at the end of 1996.
(The first judicial review, usually heard quickly and acting as an emergency brake on a bureaucracy gone power drunk , as exemplified in the Zündel case , was only heard by Canada's Federal Court on March 9, 1999,. It took 27 months to get heard, when normally it is a matter of weeks, at most months. This is typical for the new, attitude and politically correct morality in many of Canada's judicial circles.)
· 17. January 1997: Zündel went on a world-wide Human Rights offensive about what was happening inside Canada's courtrooms and Tribunals. In massive mailings, he contacted all major human rights organizations, such as Human Rights Watch, United Nations, headquarters in Geneva and New York, and other "human rights" organizations as far away as Helsinki and Singapore. Not a single agency responded beyond perfunctory acknowledgment of receipt of the materials. No one took any meaningful action.
· February 2, 1997: Israel's largest circulation newspaper, Yedioth Ahronot, did an in-depth interview with Zündel. The "reporter" had steadfastly refused to be videotaped and photographed while conducting the interview. As a result, Zündel accused him of being a Mossad agent. He tried to laugh it off. He promised the interview would be prominently featured during the week of April 20 - Hitler's birthday. Zündel predicted that not a word of it would see the light of day. Not a word was ever published.
(The "Mossad connection" is particularly intriguing because the interviewer was very eager to find out Zündel's Israeli and Jewish revisionist contacts. Again and again, he returned to this issue, saying he did not believe there were such Israelis or Jews. Zündel's Israeli friends contacted this "reporter" by phone and spoke to him in Hebrew on several occasions. The "reporter" offered to fly them, expense-free, for an interview anywhere in Canada or the U.S.A. It never happened either. One Israeli born Revisionist also thought that the man might well have been an agent, based on the questions he was asked.)
· 15. February 1997: B'nai Brith asked for official "intervenor status" in the upcoming Human Rights Tribunal hearings. Zündel responded with a blistering 48 point affidavit, which listed the vicious record of this supposedly Jewish "human rights" organization.
· 5. March 1997: As part of his Human Rights offensive, Zündel sent an Open Letter detailing Canada's human rights violations for the last decades in his case to all Canadian Parliamentarians, the world's major human rights organizations, and the world's media. Again, it was in vain.
· 15. March 1997: During the spring of 1997, Zündel was frequently in the air and on the road in the U.S. and Canada to attend court cases and to track down witnesses for his defence. Ingrid Rimland reported that over 1 million documents had been accessed on the Zundelsite by more than 175,000 electronic visitors since its inception - not even counting the visitors to the approximately 20 Zündel mirror sites then still in existence globally.
· 17. March 1997: The Federal Court of Canada refused Zündel's request for a stay of proceedings in the Human Rights matter but did allow a request for a judicial review.
· 23. May 1997: Zündel witnesses were cross-examined by Department of Justice lawyers which, incredibly, had earlier obtained intervenor status in their own case in an unprecedented ruling by a Canadian Federal Court judge. By then, rules which had governed Canadian judicial proceedings for centuries were bent beyond recognition in the Zündel case, now winding its way through the courts and tribunals.
· 26. - 27. May 1997: The Canadian Human Rights Tribunal Hearings against Ernst Zündel opened officially. Dr. Ingrid Rimland was present and offered to testify to the facts of her website, about where it was located, that she was the owner, how she ran and operated it out of her office on her own equipment, that editorials she wrote were legally copyrighted in her name etc., which would quickly have established their lack of jurisdiction. The tribunal refused to hear her.
· 27. May 1997: All major Jewish advocacy (lobby) organizations in Canada asked for intervenor status in the Tribunal hearings against Zündel. That day, it was obvious even to casual observers that they were very chummy with the Anti-Racist-Action demonstrators, vile Marxist street gang activists, who were present in the court room and in the halls - one of them with a live rat in a paper bag! - who intimidated Zündel supporters and potential witnesses.
· 7. June 1997: While Zündel was traveling in the U.S., a friendly reporter from a Canadian West Coast newspaper called via cell phone and informed him that ". . . the Mounties got their men" - suspects in the series of bombings and mousetrap-razor blade mailings in 1995. Shortly afterward, Zündel was faxed the surprisingly detailed 63 page RCMP "Search Warrant" which led to this announcement.
Astonishingly, even though arrested later, the alleged culprits were not detained and were allowed to walk the streets of Canada freely. Thus, one of the most disgusting episodes of Canadian police and judicial history was about to unfold! A curtain of officially imposed, surreal silence descended over the case.
(. . . which continues, inexplicably, to this day! Police and the media, as well as the justice system, are mum - with frightening implications. There are continuous street rumors that some people in authority are shielding these accused!)
· 13. June 1997: After the opening of the Human Rights Tribunal hearings, a Kafkaesque zigzag course through many courts began, with many motions and counter-motions filed. Zündel won some and lost some. He won a court victory against the Canadian Human Rights Commission, which was later overruled by another judgment, giving the Commission itself full party status - to "intervene" in its own case! Flagrant miscarriages of justice were taking place.
According to Zündel's lawyers, this is something that has never been allowed before in Canadian judicial proceedings. The legal team was shocked at the display of political influence going on!
Throughout June and July, Zündel traveled extensively with his American wife. Important personal decisions had to be made. The couple went to British Columbia, where Zündel tried to meet with the Attorney General's representative about the odd police behavior in the "mouse trap/razor blade" case. Attorney Christie was present, as were the media. No progress was made in this attempt to penetrate the curtain of silence about the 1995 Canada-wide terrorist wave.
· 19. June 1997: The Canadian Human Rights Tribunal allowed four Jewish Lobby groups full intervenor status - another unheard-of development. This ruling would give Zündel's enemies a chance to "gang up" on him en masse and act as assistant- or co-prosecutors, with the right to introduce documents, call witnesses, cross-examine Zündel witnesses etc. Zündel's attorney would have to contend with almost a dozen opposition lawyers and their assistants. Even though challenged in court, the Canadian courts sanctioned, even actively abetted this state of affairs. The entire media refused steadfastly to cover the hearings objectively. Not a single reporter attended even some of the Tribunal hearings. The situation became ever more surreal - the most important and modern medium of communication, the Internet, was being subjected to possibly Soviet-like dictatorial censorship - and the Canadian press and Canadian society at large showed no official interest!
· 15. August 1997: Zündel's "Power" newsletter reported detailed worldwide repression against revisionist researchers and writers. It reported his new moves against the Human Rights Commission in Federal Court. New motions were made; new papers were filed; no relief was in sight - the hearings continued on track, regardless of the obvious lack of legislative or even territorial jurisdiction in this precedent-setting case of global importance. The powers-that-be were determined to silence Ernst Zündel - and went flat out to achieve their goal by any means legal or illegal, moral or immoral.
Throughout the months of July and August, Zündel tried frantically to salvage his disintegrating marriage.
· 15. September 1997: Zündel appeared for cross-examination by lawyers for the Attorney General of Canada about affidavits he had submitted in judicial review proceedings. Attorney Christie advised Zündel to answer only questions pertaining to the affidavits. He told his client that his political opponents were on a massive fishing expedition, asking questions useful for them in their prosecution of him in the Tribunal hearings. He said they were not entitled to ask them - that they were only entitled by law to ask him about material in the affidavit.
On that advise, Zündel refused to answer some of the irrelevant questions. The opposition lawyers threatened to get a court order to force Zündel to answer their questions. Christie advised them that they could do what they liked. They made good on their threat. Two days later, as if by magic wand, Zündel found himself before a Jewish judge, Rothstein, in the Federal Court of Canada. The judge made short shrift of every one of Christie's arguments, granting Zündel's enemies sweeping rights - full answers to all questions. For good measure, he imposed on Zündel in favor of the CHRC costs of $1,750, ". . . to be paid forthwith!" He banged down his gavel and left - leaving behind the satisfied smirks on all the Jewish faces and gloating Human Rights Commission lawyers and an Ernst Zündel, richer by one more Canadian experience.
· 8. September: Zündel's lawyers lodged yet another appeal, this time against the Rothstein order. The next day, Zündel was back for the ordered cross-examination. He was grilled mercilessly. The lawyer conducting the cross-examination seemed very anxious to get all the details out of Zündel before the Tribunal hearings resumed October 14, 1997.
By then, the Zündel marriage had ended in separation. Irene Zündel was back in the U.S.A. He suspected that his estranged wife was already talking to the police and Human Rights Commission lawyers.
· 17. October 1997: Irene Zündel appeared as the government's "secret witness" in the Human Rights Tribunal hearings. She strode into the witness box, dressed in black, surrounded by a massive police presence because she had claimed that she felt "threatened" by her husband's associates. She said what the police, the government, and the Jewish intervenors wanted her to say and felt they needed ". . . to get Zündel." These were emotional and trying times for the embattled German activist. His enemies could not contain their glee about his wife's betrayal.
Zündel fought on. His legal team prepared for the cross-examinations of the government's witnesses, beginning in December.
· 11. December 1997: Zündel's political opponents had marshaled five witnesses to testify against Ernst Zündel - a linguist expert, an Internet expert, an expert in anti-semitism, the City of Toronto's mayor, and Irene Zündel. Doug Christie started cross-examining the government's chief word-twister, Professor Gary Prideau, followed by Barbara Hall, the one-time mayor of Toronto, who turned out to be so slow and cumbersome in her answers that she became an embarrassing witness for the prosecution.
She was asked to find an example of "hate" on the Zundelsite. "Point to it," said Christie. She turned red and said she couldn't find it, but she was sure that it was there. Christie pressed on. The mayor came unglued. She was given a break to compose herself, but even after the break, she was at a loss to find the "hate" in the material before her. She gave such a poor performance that even the Zündel attorneys felt sorry for her.
Ian Angus, the government's "communications expert", was also cross-examined by Doug Christie. He could only be described as pathetic. He used a little-known, amateurish dictionary which defined the telephone "as an instrument of the devil" - another indication of how low the standards had sunk in legal proceedings in this frantic Jewish effort ". . . to get Zündel at all costs!"
Frederick Schweitzer, the government's expert on anti-Semitism, was a sight to behold on the witness stand. He blamed everything that ever befell Jews as the fault of Christians and Christianity. Zündel, he said, embodied all the worst elements of 2,000 years of Christian anti-Semitism. Speaking in a voice choked with emotion and raised to a high pitch and near-shout, he referred to Zündel as ". . . another Hitler, in effect Hitler # 2!" He said it in German no less - and just to be sure that people had no doubt about his looks or ethnicity, he said that he was German, and that his family tree was ". . . judenrein"- which means, literally translated, ". . . clean of Jews." Those who saw him and watched his demeanor could not help wondering!
· 17. December 1997: Irene Zündel was the final witness for the year of 1997. Under cross-examination by Christie, she admitted to having written a letter not in her own handwriting to Immigration authorities, trying to get Ingrid Rimland deported from the U.S.A. - obviously to sabotage the Zundelsite while she was still living with Zündel. The media completely blocked out her testimony. Not a single word appeared in the mainstream media.
(Only the Jewish News gloated about Zündel's misfortune. Sol Litman, Simon Wiesenthal's man on the Canadian scene, tried to peddle a "sour grapes" story to the Canadian media - to no success at all. It took him almost a year to find a "Commie" type community rag to print it. Few people seem to care for traitors.)
· 8. January 1998: Even though it had been almost 30 years since Zündel had applied for citizenship the first time and the new application had kicked loose the Canadian Security Intelligence Service (SIRC) hearings, and it had been 3 1/2 years since they have been mysteriously suspended "indefinitely", Zündel knew that SIRC still malevolently hovered in the shadows.
· 17. January 1998: Based on a rather innocuous interview about a famous sports lawyer who had defrauded Canadian hockey players and had been convicted for his crimes, the Toronto Globe and Mail published a fluff article in a "society celebrity" column about Zündel's views on the matter. A storm of Jewish protests in the paper and the media broke loose. Even to casual bystanders, this paranoid reaction to an insignificant article revealed such a deep-seated, hateful, spiteful attitude among some Jewish leaders that it seemed almost pathological. The famous newspaper's groveling in a follow-up editorial apologizing all over the place spoke volumes about "Freedom of the Press", Canadian style!
· 1. February 1998: Holocaust terror was now directed not just at Revisionists but even at sympathetic Jews. In an early 1998 "Power" letter, Zündel announced the recanting of young David Cole, his Jewish collaborator of years past. Cole had come under extreme pressure from the terrorist Jewish Defense League who had pursued him relentlessly, threatening mayhem and death, ending with an address and Cole's picture listed on the Internet. Zündel commented on the tragedy of fragile psyches of individuals unable to stand up to the immense pressure of the Holocaust Lobby and the terror and psychological assaults against dissidents to the Jewish agenda. He also reported about his 29. -30. January 1998 court appearances and appeal in Vancouver against Judge Rothstein's order, which he lost.
· 3. March 1998: Zündel reported the "indexing" of seven Internet Zundelsite texts by Germany - none of which he wrote - a new method of censoring the Internet. The largest German "Computer Bild" magazine, in its issue # 2 of 1998, reported in detail about this matter.
· 23. March 1998: In a parallel Human Rights Tribunal pay equity case involving a huge Canadian corporation, Bell Canada, Madame Justice McGillis of Canada's Federal Court excoriated the whole Canadian Human Rights Commission industry and the scheme under which they were operating in a scathing judgment, characterizing them in very uncomplimentary terms and frames of reference and bringing that case to a screeching halt.. Briefly, the Zündel team entertained hope that now the Zündel Tribunal hearings would be stopped as well. No such luck. René Duvall, chief lawyer for the CHRC, told the judge who heard the Zündel motion that, for the Zündel hearings, it would be ". . . business as usual." The judge saw things Mr. Duvall's way and had no objection.
(Zündel would find out much later, on March 9, 1999, that Duvall had asked a Nova Scotia Human Rights Tribunal in the wake of the McGillis decision to stop its proceedings and dissolve - while he had the audacity to plead in the Zündel case to soldier on! Amazing!)
31. March 1998: The Zündel team filed four more judicial review applications in the Federal Court of Canada. Meanwhile, a ". . . bleeding dry of Zündel" strategy by Zündel's opponents was now in full swing and meant to force him to his knees financially.
Tribunal hearing dates were announced for:
April 6 - 9; April 20-24; May 11-15; May 25-29; June 1-5; June 8-12
In the days that followed, Zündel's team geared up for the April 6, 1998 continuing cross-examination in the Human Rights Tribunal hearings of the government's chief witness, the German-born, "anti-Semitism expert," Dr. Frederick Schweitzer.
· On April 2, 1998, SIRC informed Zündel that the hearings would resume "shortly". Zündel reported in his "Power" letter about having lost his case in the Federal Appeal Court against this agency that pimped, without pretense of being at arms length, for the civilian spy agency called CSIS (Canadian Security Intelligence Service).
This SIRC ruling meant that, once again, Zündel would face secret witnesses in secret "in camera" security hearings on whether or not - after having lived in Canada as a citizen with an unblemished record for over forty years - he should be classified as a "security threat". He still refused to believe in the Holocaust and dared to defend his ethnic group and himself against Canadian government tolerated and often financed, ever-escalating anti-German hate propaganda. Here was one stubborn Swabian!
He promptly launched an appeal against this latest Federal Appeal Court decision in the Supreme Court of Canada - which he would later also lose. The Supreme Court, too, awarded costs against him- which meant this time he even had to pay the legal fees of the government lawyers! Amazing developments!
· 2. May 1998: Zündel reported in his May "Power" newsletter about the dramatic David versus Goliath struggle he and his legal team were fighting in those tragic months against the forces of malicious ethnic suppression by Canadian apparatchiks and brazen Internet censors. He reported to his supporters how even the Supreme Court of Canada had become enlisted and embroiled in the Zündel fight for freedom of speech and relief from ethnic hate against Germans. He commented on this incredible refusal to look at the government's bludgeoning of one man and his rights by the most powerful lobbies on earth, who had the ear of government and its various beholden institutions. It seemed to him that at least some of the judges were acting like marionettes for the Holocaust Enforcers. To add insult to injury, the courts of Canada increasingly went so far as to adopt the European government tactics of penalizing its opponents via its judiciary, assessing costs to losing parties - which are really crippling fines against people who have the courage to oppose the unfair, immoral, and frequently illegal actions of a bureaucracy gone power mad with kowtowing to lobbies.
(During all of 1998, Zündel reported how he and his lawyers repeatedly rushed from Toronto to Ottawa, back to Toronto, back to Ottawa, on to Vancouver to fight for his rights to speak, to think, to write and to propagate his ideas, including on the Internet. He explained how these self-appointed censors, with the help of the Canadian government, tried to silence their critics - by simply calling criticism of them "hate." History will report this period as one of the most immoral and one-sided, raw, repressive exercises of power by public and judicial officials in Canada.)
· 27. May 1998: Dr. Alexander Jacobs, an Indian academic, was to be the first Zündel witness to testify in the Human Rights Tribunal hearings. Within minutes, it was clear that the lawyer for B'nai Brith, Marvin Kurz, knew information of a sensitive and private nature that was contained in Dr. Jacobs's personal files at the University of Toronto. What ensued was one of the most disgusting spectacles of character assassination against an academic who had come to testify in a public hearing. Time and again, Christie's objections were overruled by the Tribunal. In the end, the witness was disqualified.
Next, the defence tried to qualify Dr. Robert Countess. The same process of vicious character assassination used to destroy Dr. Jacobs was used against Dr. Countess, a man eminently qualified as an historian and theologian, and especially knowledgeable in the field of Christian and Jewish history and revisionist texts. He, too, was refused as a witness - because he was too enthusiastic a Revisionist! By comparison, Dr. Schweitzer's enthusiastic philo-semitism did not disqualify him - that was alright!
· 1. June 1998: Zündel's Voice of Freedom Satellite program vanished from the TV screens. This time it was not overt Jewish censorship that blanked out the Zündel programs - it was the mysterious death of an old NASA satellite. Zündel frantically worked the phones, calling the far corners of the globe to find a replacement satellite - and a replacement was found in the end. The show would go on. Meanwhile, the Human Rights Tribunal hearings in Toronto went ahead like a steamroller also. Every attempt to get help or relief, in those days, via the superior courts in Canada by Zündel's lawyers failed.
Nonetheless, at great emotional costs to themselves, the lawyers fought with dogged determination. The five government witnesses were grilled intensively.
Zündel had prepared for these weeks of hearings for months. Tens of thousands of pages of documents had been prepared. The defense's arguments and documentation were seamless and flawless. To be on the safe side, the Zündel legal team had relied almost entirely on Jewish sources - Jewish authors, Jewish theologians and rabbis, to avoid having the introduction of their evidence prevented by the Tribunal.
It was a futile exercise. The Jewish intervenors' lawyers, the Jewish prosecutor and the tribunal constituted a solid block. Every shred of even a pretense of balance and fairness fell by the wayside. It was a display of arrogant, naked quasi-judicial power to bludgeon Zündel into submission. It didn't matter that his sources for his revisionist claims had flowed right out of Jewish pens and were the products of Jewish minds!
· On May 25, 1998 the Tribunal issued its by now famous, or infamous, "Truth is not a defense!" ruling and proclamation in these proceedings. The Tribunal ruled: "Truth is irrelevant!"
(Mark Freiman, the Commission's Jewish prosecuting lawyer, put it neatly with a brazen smirk: "If truth were allowed as a defence, it would be a desecration of the Canadian Human Rights Act!" - as if that piece of legislation concocted by a bunch of political hacks in some smoke-filled back room in decades gone past was some quasi religious dogma or dictum like the Ten Commandments!)
For Zündel, this was the straw that broke the camel's back!
He knew that the playing field inside the Tribunal's hearing rooms had been so tilted against him, and the goal posts had been changed so often, that it was time to make a dramatic appeal directly to the people of Canada in the press room of Canada's Parliament building - to see if there was any decency left in the great northern wasteland. Little did he realize how far things had deteriorated and sunk in Canada!
What awaited him was the shock of his life! He had wanted to inform the Canadian people of the total corruption of the process used against him and tell them of the "Truth is no defence!" ruling that was a threat not only to Ernst Zündel - that ruling was threatening all of Canadians' freedom and traditions as well. Truth was the foundation of all civilized order!
· June 3, 1998: Zündel announced a press conference for 10:30 a.m. for June 5, 1998 in the press room of the Parliament Building in Ottawa. That room was set aside for people to use to discuss and deal with "matters or issues of national interest."
· June 4, 1998: In an unanimous decision, the Canadian Parliament banned Zündel from the entire precincts of Parliament!
This ban was instigated by the leader of the Canadian Jewish Congress, Moshe Ronen, who "happened" to be on Parliament Hill that day and who had apparently been informed by an underling that an announcement about the press conference was blinking on the Zundelsite.
(The blinking, Ingrid Rimland said later, was an accidental technical glitch, but it gave the appearance of an extreme emergency!)
· June 5, 1998: Ban or no ban, Zündel drove to Ottawa to hold his press conference, if all else failed, in front of the Parliament Building - under the clear blue sky! He arrived on Parliament Hill, tired from the all-night drive but determined that he would have his say. With minutes to spare, he headed up the steps to the Parliament Buildings. He saw police cruisers lurking in the shadows and alleyways and plain clothes cops wherever he looked. Clearly, this press conference was seen as an important event. In the past, he had often had his press conferences sabotaged by his political opponents so that only a handful of reporters showed up. Now he saw a steady stream of news people, shouldering tripods, cameras and tape recorders, heading for the steps. Soon, he stood encircled by reporters.
He spoke to them in measured tones, with understated passion. He told about the disgusting proceedings in the Tribunal hearings where "human rights" were claimed to be at stake, but where truth had been outlawed as a defence for the accused. These hearings, he stressed, were not just about Ernst Zündel. It was about ideas, about history, where truth mattered more than anything else. He told the news crews that they, as free men and women, would be next. For good measure, he brought unabridged copies of the decision along. He had even translated it for them into French!
He left within the hour, back to Toronto - just in time to participate in a province-wide radio talk show via telephone in faraway Alberta. The majority of callers that day agreed with him.
· June 6, 1998: C-PAC, the Canadian Parliamentary Channel filmed and broadcast the entire Zündel press conference in full. It ran prime time, Canada-wide, unedited. Toronto's most powerful AM-FM radio station, CFRB, devoted a full two hour show to the "Truth is not a defence" issue. Other media followed. Two days later, Canada's Globe and Mail and the Ottawa Citizen wrote strong-worded editorials on Zündel's ban from Parliament, excoriating the Human Rights industry as a weapon of political interests. At long last, the media climate seemed to be changing!
· June 10, 1998: One of the Human Rights Tribunal members, Professor Harish Jain, an Indian, had meanwhile withdrawn from the panel - possibly because he didn't like the treatment that Dr. Alexander Jacobs, a fellow Indian, received at the hands of the verbally abusive intervenors. Now Doug Christie made a motion before the Tribunal, accusing another one of the Tribunal members, Reva Devins, of bias.
Research had discovered that Devins had been a member of the Ontario Human Rights Commission, which had virulently condemned Zündel when he was convicted after his 1988 trial. How could she now sit in "impartial" judgment in a hearing dealing with the same issues, even the same publications?
The Devins motion caused an uproar! The two Tribunal members sat stunned. After a brief recess, the two-member Tribunal decided to end the hearings until November 9, 1998, much to the displeasure of the Jewish intervenors. It was clearly retreat and regroup!
· June 15, 1998: All summer long, article after article appeared in the Canadian media highly critical of a burgeoning, predatory "human rights" industry, most visibly the Human Rights Tribunals. London Free Press columnist, Rory Leishman, for instance, published a highly critical article about the Human Rights Commissions. There were many others, widely read and commented on in Letters to the Editor. On the Internet, Canada was becoming a country of disgrace and derision, thanks to the Tribunal's "Truth is no defence!" ruling. On the global Internet, Canada was now referred to in newsgroups as "Absurdistan", "Cuba del Norte" and "The Soviet Republic of Canada."
· July 6 - 10, 1998: The cross-examinations for the judicial reviews of Ingrid Rimland and Ernst Zündel by the Holocaust Lobby's attorneys took place. Again, some questions were not answered because Doug Christie advised his clients the opposition was not entitled to ask them and must hold itself to content covered in the affidavits. As in Judge Rothstein's case, back the intervenors went to court - and Judge Evans would later rule that every one of the questions posed by the Jewish side had to be answered in full. Strange how so many of these judges see things the Jewish way!
· August 2, 1998: The New York Times (p. 18) published a sizable article about the Zundelsite and the Toronto Tribunal hearings. New York Times reporters had begun to cover these hearings, sending reporters who asked pointed questions and requested background material. Zündel had invited them to visit Zündel-Haus to meet Dr. Ingrid Rimland in person. The result was a remarkably fair and objective feature.
This New York Times article was syndicated in dozens of large U.S. newspapers, and the visitor count to the Zundelsite shot up to 40,000 documents accessed within 24 hours and remained heavy for weeks. Ziff-Davis, the large computer magazine chain, also conducted interviews with Ingrid Rimland. She appeared in radio shows and on the front page of a San Diego based newspaper.
· August 8, 1998: The Ottawa Citizen published a very sharp article on the Human Rights Commission. Zündel's legal team filed a constitutional challenge of the Canadian Human Rights Act. Radio Iran interviewed and broadcast a Zündel interview about the Monica Lewinsky matter and other world affairs. Even though in Canada, Zündel was still broad-brushed as a "hate monger", internationally he was now seen by ever more people as an important political commentator.
· 20. September 1998: Victims of Zion, a detailed study of Holocaust terrorism against Revisionists around the globe, appeared in print. This document was uploaded to the Zundelsite and soon became a much-requested item by readers around the world.
· 23. September 1998: Judge Evans of the Federal Court of Canada ruled in favor of Sabina Citron's lawyers. Zündel spent weeks searching papers and analyzing documents to meet the judge's demand to supply the answers the Jewish side wanted to extract.
· 6. October 1998: Due to the Canadian media having hammered away at the parasitic Human Rights Commission industry all summer long, the climate in Canada seemed to be turning against the Human Rights Commissions as an "instrument of special interests." The Zündel legal team was quick to file a constitutional challenge against Section 13 of the Canadian Human Rights Act itself. The Ottawa Citizen had reported that the Canadian Auditor General had sharply criticized the Canadian Human Rights Commission for its wastefulness.
(Still, nobody dared to say the liberating words "the Jewish Lobby...")
· 29. October 1998: Zündel and his lawyers had to appear before the looming Security Intelligence Review Committee. The new judge was a conservative lawyer from Montreal, a member of the Privy Council and a Queens Counsel. The Zündel team came well prepared, and the hearings were soon bogged down in procedural questions. Judge Grant made a number of surprising rulings in a very short time, which ended these initial stages of the new hearings more quickly than anticipated.
· 30. October 1998: On the advice of his attorneys, Zündel launched a massive civil suit against all members of Parliament and Canada's political elite, as well as Moshe Ronen, leader of the Canadian Jewish Congress, for violating his constitutional and human rights in the unheard-of ban on Parliament Hill. A month later, the Canadian Jewish News published a front page article about the Zündel civil suit against the Canadian Jewish Congress.
· 9.-13. November 1998: The Human Rights Tribunal hearings began again. The struggle inside the courtroom for freedom on the Internet continued.
· 4. December 1998: In Germany, Attorney Rieger appeared in the "indexed Zundelsite texts" case. This case was surprisingly won on January 12, 1999, and soon thereafter appealed by the German government.
Before Christmas, the defense's Internet expert, Bernard Klatt and Mark Weber, director of the Institute for Historical Review and expert Holocaust historian, appeared as Zündel witnesses in the Human Rights Tribunal Hearings. Bernard Klatt held his own and proved to be a remarkably knowledgeable and composed witness on the technical aspects of the Internet. Additionally, Dr. Robert Faurisson was to be Zündel's expert on texts and documents - but he, like every other Zündel witness before him, was verbally assaulted, taunted, vilified, denigrated and character-assassinated by the Jewish intervenors' lawyers and by the Commission lawyers.
A spiritual struggle raged inside that hearing room just prior to Christmas of such an intensity produced by the hatred and disdain for the principles that Dr. Robert Faurisson and Mark Weber defended - and because they refused to cave in and back down - that seemed satanic to observers. Many would comment on it. In the end, the two Tribunal judges wimped out and said they would rule later on whether Dr. Faurisson and Mark Weber would be accepted as a witness. Weber was qualified in a very narrow way. Dr. Faurisson was not! Mark Weber will be the first witness on April 19, 1999 when the hearings resume.
· 6. January 1999: Zündel and his attorney, Barbara Kulaszka, deposed (i.e. cross-examined) the managers of Canada's political parties for the upcoming civil suit against the political elite in Canada.
· 7. January 1999: In the pending SIRC hearings, former Ontario Premier, Bob Rae, one-quarter Jewish and married to a Jewish woman, whose children are raised Jewish, agreed not to act as a judge in the Zündel case. After fierce Zündel objections and a thick file was turned over to the judge of prejudicial speeches Rae had made against Zündel over the years, the Security Intelligence Review Committee agreed to give this concession to Zündel in writing.
· 8. January 1999: The three arrested alleged "mouse-trap/razor blade" terrorists were finally given a court date in Vancouver. Zündel kept track of that murky case, still under media blackout, through yet another attorney in faraway Vancouver.
· 15. January 1999: B'nai Brith and Canadian Jewish Congress lawyers tried desperately in Toronto Federal Court to prevent the Zündel judicial reviews into the Human Rights Tribunal activities case from taking place. Justice Reed ruled in favor of Zündel within less than two weeks, saying it was his right to have those reviews heard. The Jewish side was ordered to pay Zündel's costs.
· 18. January 1999: Zündel and attorneys appeared before Judge Chadwick, this time in 500 km distant Ottawa. Christie was opposed by almost a dozen lawyers for the members of Parliament, the political parties etc. The judge seemed strangely in a hurry, was quick-tempered and reserved judgment. He ruled against Zündel within less than two weeks and awarded costs to the parties and members of Parliament. Once again, Zündel was ordered to pay their legal fees.
This ruling was far-reaching. It meant that Canada's people could not legally protest against the actions of their elected representatives - without running the risk of having to pay for government abusers' attorneys, if some judge ruled against them. What signal does that send to society?
Next, Christie, too, was banned from the press room located in the Parliament buildings - his "crime" was merely being Zündel's lawyer!
Christie had wanted to hold a press conference as Chief Counsel and spokesman for the Canadian Free Speech League, in the same room that Zündel had rented in June. Christie had planned to inform the media about Canada's proposed new hate laws and the danger to all citizens of Canada in the Canadian Human Rights Tribunal ruling that "Truth is not a defence" and "Truth is irrelevant" in Canadian Human Rights cases. The Christie ban made headlines across Canada. He was repeatedly interviewed by major media. Even the most callous members of the media were shocked that such parliamentary abuse could happen to an attorney, ostensibly for representing a "politically incorrect" client! After all, Christie had not said a word yet!
· 2.-3. February 1999: Radio Iran contacted Zündel and asked him to comment on an interview one of their reporters had conducted with Germany's Jewish leader, Ignatz Bubis. A lengthy and passionate interview ensued, covering such topics as Israeli terrorism, war crimes, Germany's Jewish policies, Nazi-Zionist collaboration etc. This interview became a five-part German language series. A month later, Zündel appeared on the popular religious short-wave program of radio evangelist, Pete Peters - a program that is reaching the farthest corners of the world. The topics were once again Revisionism and German-Jewish issues. On March 20, Radio Iran began to broadcast the Bubis-Zündel controversy in German, also via short-wave radio and on their own Internet website at www.irib.com.
· 6. February 1999: In an editorial ZGram sent worldwide to her daily cyber readers, Ingrid Rimland covered the sensational "Dr. Death" - Fred Leuchter documentary, made by an independent Jewish producer, first shown during the famous Robert Redford Sundance Film Festival. A sensation was clearly in the making.
· 9. March 1999: The much delayed, frequently sabotaged, often postponed and fiercely opposed Zündel judicial reviews began at long last to take place in Toronto. A day of miracles! Zündel had accomplished what the enemies of truth, freedom and justice had tried to prevent for over two years! He had stayed the course and outlasted them.
The first on the agenda was the McGillis-Bell Canada review.
The Zündel team fought hard and raised all the issues. It seemed an airtight case. Within two weeks, Judge Reed ruled nevertheless against Zündel on a legal technicality. All that work, effort and money - for what? Zündel calmed his troops and told them to forge ahead.
· 10,-11. March 1999: Judge Evans, who had ruled in favor of Sabina Citron only a few months before, handled the very important second judicial review, which dealt with every aspect of the Zündel case before the Tribunal - whether the Canadian Human Rights Commission had jurisdiction over a U.S. based website, whether a telephone answering machine was like an interactive website on the Internet etc., the whole record of the Human Rights Commission's chief commissioner's statements and those by their Policy and Planning Directors bias, a Jew called Goldberg - the works! Everything was finally on the table.
Doug Christie made every point which could be made to alert a properly constituted court, presided over by a trained judge charged with overseeing and checking into the behavior, conduct and methods used by quasi-, part-time courts and parasitic outfits like the Human Rights Commission. This judge rushed Christie's presentation through at a speed and in a way that even Christie, an experienced trial attorney, had never before experienced in a Canadian courtroom. It was shocking - but then, everything about the Zündel struggle for Truth in History has been shock after shock after shock!
After two days, which felt like "the bum's rush", the judge reserved judgment. As this booklet goes to press, the Zündel team awaits the ruling.
March 30, 1999: Zündel was informed that the SIRC hearings against him would resume soon.
12.-13. April, 1999: Judge Campbell heard three Zündel judicial reviews, dealing with the apprehended bias of Tribunal Member, Reva Devins, "Truth is no defense" and Dr. Alexander Jacob's denial as expert witness. The Zündel team won all three! The Tribunal hearings are stopped sine die - until further notice.
The Holocaust Lobby has lodged furious counter attacks and appeals all. Zündel cross-appeals.
Despite decades of systematic vilification as a "hate monger" in the Canadian media, Ernst Zündel is listed as Number 44 out of 100 people mentioned on a list of the "most influential Canadians of the 20th Century" by Jewish political scientist Jack Granatstein in a study called "The Canadian 100."
To simple Canadians, as well as to many Zündel-watchers and admirers throughout the world, he is the "David" with the slingshot who has taken on an almost mythical "Goliath" embodied in the Holocaust Lobby, which is now using the Human Rights Commission - and the Jewish "intervenors" who have so hard, transparently and shamelessly, to finally bring Zündel down!
From the simple 19-year-old peasant youth who came to Canada - naively ". . . believing in the Holocaust" - matured the world's most recognized, respected and admired activist against a criminal extortion enterprise no longer even posing as just exaggerated Hollywood-ized "history".
Informed people know the "Holocaust" has turned into an instrument of terror and a new, temporal religion - in fact, a cult of death before which the world's kings and governments cringe and cower.
Millions and millions of taxpayers' money have been thrown at Ernst Zündel by the Canadian Holocaust Lobby in assault after assault to silence him. He has paid for his own defense, out of his own pocket and with the help of little people in 41 countries all over the world - so that he can continue to write, to publish and to broadcast about the truth in history pertaining to his much maligned and vilified German people and nation.
Before his God and history, Ernst Zündel vowed in a symbolic act, standing and touching the Wailing Wall in Israel in 1968, that he would lift the blood libel of the Holocaust from the German World War II generation and free their children from the curse that is the fraudulently peddled "Holocaust".
In decades of almost superhuman struggle, he has mortally wounded one of the most diabolical schemes ever hatched by evil men to manipulate, deceive and defraud an unsuspecting public with fake history.
The struggle continues. Quite simply: Will you help?